Tom Tom goes off just after driving away from house

TomTom Model(s)
CEO168
I have a CEO168 Tom Tom which I have had for about 1 year, I charged it up on my laptop for approx 2 hours, When I got in car this morning I put on the tom tom and set my destination and it seemed fine, but I only got as far as round the corner from my house and it went off, The green light is on on the tom tom.
Anyone have any ideas what it could be please......... (Need tom tom for my job)

Further to that .. you say "The green light is on...". Is this true while you are operating it in the car, or only when connected to the PC?
Are you using the original TomTom car charger?
And per dhn, can we clarify the model?

DHN: The model is 4ER51 TomTom Go Live

canderson: The green light is on while operating it in car.
Yes I am using original TomTom car charger and USB charger.
How long does it take to charge up if charged using the USB charger? And how will I know if/when it is fully charged?

Jayne, that is not a proper model. Please enter the first 2 characters of your serial number in the link I provided above.

How long does it take to charge up if charged using the USB charger? And how will I know if/when it is fully charged?
Depends upon capacity of the charger, whether you are trying to run the unit while charging, whether you have Live services operating, etc etc etc. However 20 minutes on the vehicle charger should get you into fair shape. Longer if on the PC (the PC supplies a bit less than half the current of a TT car charger).

As for knowing charge status -- disconnect it and observe the battery indicator in the lower left corner of the screen. The color there is informative. Also, if shutting off due to lack of battery, it should warn you first that the battery power is low.

I have just figured out how to check battery status now, so have now fully charged it 100% over night on the pc. My job consists of driving for 10 - 15 minutes then stopping for 1/2 hour - 1 hour etc throughout the day, so it probably needed a full charge before starting off. I will try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Guess we should ask...

While you are stopped for 1/2~1 hour, is the unit configured to shut down with loss of power, or does it continue to run during your stop?

In the 'Battery Saving' settings it is set to switch on when connected to power, and is 'not' set to stay on when external power is lost.

Hmm.. then it should last indefinitely since it should be charging while you are driving, and not consuming any battery to speak of when you're stopped (a miniscule amount to keep it 'alive').

Ok, I will let you know tomorow as I will be back at work then (driving short distances and starting/stopping), so will find out when stopping and starting on a 'now' 100% charged battery.

Ask a Question