Away from roads

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
I do geocaching with my ONE XL TomTom. We are given co-ordinates Long. and Lat. which work well for me if the site is within a certain distance from a named road. But if the site is in the middle of a large area away from roads it doesn't work. gives me a " no usable locations near cursor" message. Is there a way I can get around this? Cheers, davejey. :)

The only way to get around this is to use equipment that is more suitable than ones from TomTom, which are all devices designed for vehicle navigation over roads. I suggest you get advice from other geocachers on what devices are suitable and have good mapping for Kiwiland.

Hi davejey and welcome to TTF!

I've used my One XL for geocaching for many years using a (free) 3rd party program called Offroad Nagivator. You can find more information at this link .

Before adding 3rd party software, make a complete backup of your TomTom using Windows Explorer (or similar if you have a Mac).

@davejay
Before making a caching run, I will review access using either the mapping tool within GSAK, or using Google or Bing satellite shots. This is because sometimes the closest road to a cache isn't practical (e.g., a highway entrance ramp instead of the business parking lot behind it!). So before starting out, I will write myself a note about the correct place to leave the road (in the above example, the correct location of the parking lot entrance off a surface road), and before going there, I change the location using Point on Map and search for Recent Destination. That always gets me close, and then I can select the correct point on the map for the TomTom to enter the lot. Hope that made sense.

The TomTom has some threshold such that if the destination of the coordinates is too far from any known road, it gives you the result you received, and there's just no way around that.

As Alfie suggests, your device is old enough to make use of Off Road Navigator, but understand, there's no mapping with that, so it's kind of a seat-of-the-pants navigation job. It will point you to the target, but it's up to you to find the appropriate trails or roads. That's why I'm careful to use Google (or better, Bing's Birds Eye view) when I suspect this sort of thing will occur... especially up in the mountains of Colorado!

Caching handle: ecanderson (6400+ finds)

Ask a Question