The use of a Tomtom on a Plane

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910
Hi,

A silly question I know, it isn`t that I want to do it, I don`t. It`s a friend that says it is perfectly OK to use a Tomtom on a airline and watch yourself zipping along the streets. I say that it is probably dangerous and even illegal.
Could anyone enlighten us?

Hi,

A silly question I know, it isn`t that I want to do it, I don`t. It`s a friend that says it is perfectly OK to use a Tomtom on a airline and watch yourself zipping along the streets. I say that it is probably dangerous and even illegal.
Could anyone enlighten us?

Well I don't know if it is illegal but... I did it and here are some pics. I can't see the danger in doing this since it is not transmitting anything.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2395

(and yes it was fun... and yes I'm going to do it again)

Last edited:
It is not illegal and not dangerous. I have used it on planse in Europe, USA and trancatlantic without any problems:)

Airlines may be concerned about electronic devices jamming signals, but as the GOs aren't transmitters (only receivers), I guess there is no harm done! However, I wouldn't like to face an angry captain, lol

I flew to Baltimore on SWA in late April and in the back of their magazine it was listed as a device that was permitted. Coming back in early May there was a new magazine that listed it as "not allowed". Maybe one was a mispring but I was told a while back that you weren't suppose to have anything that can send/recieve info on a plane. I've used a GPS on plane as well as an XM radio and even left my cel phone on by accident (several times) and all flights ended without incident.:)

You may use GPS receivers on an airplane if the carrier allows it. As an example, American Airlines does NOT allow it: it's specifically spelled out in the "devices you can't use on an airplane". Silly, yes, but that's the rules. Delta Airlines specifically says you CAN use a GPS receiver before the door is closed, after reaching cruising altitude, etc, just like most electronic devices.

Back in the "good old days", my old handheld GPS receivers had a hell of a time getting signal anyway. I had to hold the receiver up to the window to get a lock.

Last edited:
None of your personal devices will mess with the planes equipment. Thats an urban myth perpertuated by the Airlines, so they can cahrge you to use thier phones, buy headphones for their movies, maybe charge you for internet access in the future. They want you to pass the time reading those catalogs so u can buy stuff, or pay $10 for headphones to watch a movie instead of bringing your own methods of passing the tiime.

Your probably not going to cuase an issue, but what if you do in that 1 and 10,000 situation. Would you want to be held responsible. If you get caught thye cold just say ... bad boy and tell you to put it away, or they could make a big deal about it and maybe get you into trouble with the feds once your on the ground. Unlikely, but its still a possibility if the flt crew is having a bad day. I have seen someone told to hand up the phone,, and in less than 30 seconds the flt attentdent threatened the passenger with arrest for failing to follow her instructions.

I would say if they say its OK , then have fun (thats way I installed tripmaster for the altitude), but if its not why risk it. I have asked on United a few times and they say NO and give me the stink eye, i had not seen of they were on the list of allowed deviced in the magazine.

Skizza: not arguing whether or not GPS receivers cause problems (I know they don't!), but just stating what the rules are for each airline.

After getting a Treo 600, I noticed that the magazine said that "cell phones may not be used AT ALL in flight". Well, the Treo is a cell phone AND a PDA. American Airlines amazingly changed their blurb to say that you could use PDA functions of your cell phone if the cell phone radio was turned off. On the first flight that I noticed that new blurb, a flight attendant told me to turn off my "cell phone", and when I said "but it's a Treo" she said "IT'S A CELL PHONE". After she had calmed down I showed her the in-flight magazine blurb and showed her that the radio was clearly OFF. She wasn't happy but she said ok. :) I haven't had a problem since... no one even seems to notice that I'm doing something with my "cell phone" in the middle of a flight.

Skizza: not arguing whether or not GPS receivers cause problems (I know they don't!), but just stating what the rules are for each airline.

After getting a Treo 600, I noticed that the magazine said that "cell phones may not be used AT ALL in flight". Well, the Treo is a cell phone AND a PDA. American Airlines amazingly changed their blurb to say that you could use PDA functions of your cell phone if the cell phone radio was turned off. On the first flight that I noticed that new blurb, a flight attendant told me to turn off my "cell phone", and when I said "but it's a Treo" she said "IT'S A CELL PHONE". After she had calmed down I showed her the in-flight magazine blurb and showed her that the radio was clearly OFF. She wasn't happy but she said ok. :) I haven't had a problem since... no one even seems to notice that I'm doing something with my "cell phone" in the middle of a flight.

I hear you, my post wasn't a response directed at your post, just a comment on the airlines industry.

Funny story, bet you didn't get an extra bag of peanuts on that flight...lol

The days of the pleasant flight attendant seem to have passed. I know they deal with tons of people daily, which invariable means dealing with idiots, assholes, morons, smart-asses, etc. But I've seen multiple occasions lately where they act like they are Homeland F'in Security!

Ask a Question