TomTom on an airplane?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
Does anyone know if I will be allowed to take my tomtom with me in my carry on luggage? I've looked on the website for the airline (Continental) and have yet to find anything definitive.
If I get a crabby attendant could they confiscate it?

I take mine with me all the time, and think the airlines do not care as long as you leave it turned off. I have turned it on during flight just to see what happens, but my 720 could not pick up a satellite; not sure if it was because of the speed or the altitude. Next time I will leave it on during takeoff and see what happens as we roll down the runway. I would not recommend others doing this however, since the flight attendants will get a little testy if they see you.

I don't think it should be a problem in your carry on. I also wouldn't recommend turning it on during take off or landing. Not only can the flight attendants get upset, there is also the chance that any personal electronic device could affect the pilot's systems. It is very unlikely, but I saw a Myth Buster's episode that showed a cell phone frequency that altered the flight instruments

I take mine in my cary on all the time. I've turned it on a few times and have gotten satellite hits. Fun to watch your little symbol cruise across multiple sates at 560MPH!

I don't think it should be a problem in your carry on. I also wouldn't recommend turning it on during take off or landing. Not only can the flight attendants get upset, there is also the chance that any personal electronic device could affect the pilot's systems. It is very unlikely, but I saw a Myth Buster's episode that showed a cell phone frequency that altered the flight instruments

I've had mine on carry-on luggage also, the x-ray machines don't hurt it. Couldn't get a signal in flight though, and I don't think anyone noticed me turn it on in flight. I don't see why it would interfere with flight instruments, it doesn't transmit a signal, but I'm sure they would freak if you had it turned on after they told you to turn everything off.

Certain airlines say you can use them, some don't. Look in the manual, you don't want to get an already grumpy flight atendant even more grumpy.

The problem with reception doesn't have to do with altitude or speed.* It's the fact that you're in a metal tube that blocks most RF. That's why you see all the antennas hanging off the plane.** Try holding it close to the window and see if it can finally pick it up.

* Tomtom's are really designed for the road and seem to make certain assumptions that you're on or close to a road. Maybe this would make it harder to get sat lock. More traditional GPS systems don't care.

** Find a fiberglass plane, they frequently embed antena's into the structure and it works really well.

Certain airlines say you can use them, some don't. Look in the manual, you don't want to get an already grumpy flight atendant even more grumpy.

The problem with reception doesn't have to do with altitude or speed.* It's the fact that you're in a metal tube that blocks most RF. That's why you see all the antennas hanging off the plane.** Try holding it close to the window and see if it can finally pick it up.

* Tomtom's are really designed for the road and seem to make certain assumptions that you're on or close to a road. Maybe this would make it harder to get sat lock. More traditional GPS systems don't care.

** Find a fiberglass plane, they frequently embed antena's into the structure and it works really well.

I tried the window...didn't work for me. What airlines use fiberglass planes?

There's much more to flying than just airlines:

2Long_EZ.jpg

The nav antenna is embedded in the canard, the radio antenna is in one of the winglets, and the transponder antenna is normally just embedded somewhere in the body.

i saw a photo somewhere of a guys TT. He had tripmaster running on in and had a photo of his max speed, it was ridiculously fast, he said he turned it on when in flight

Does anyone know if I will be allowed to take my tomtom with me in my carry on luggage? I've looked on the website for the airline (Continental) and have yet to find anything definitive.
If I get a crabby attendant could they confiscate it?

Turned off and in your carry on, no one will bother you.
Turned on it seems to vary from airline to airline and even attendant to attendant.

It's a safe bet that any flight attendant will ask you to turn it off and put it away before they try to take it from you or have you sent to Gitmo. If you put it away without a fuss if asked, you won't have any further trouble. Unless you bring it out again :)

same here never turned it on in flight ,but carry on all the time.i have a small messanger bag that i carry all my small electronics in.the tt,ipod,nano,psp,wireless headphones,couple pairs of oakleys,all charging cords,etc. it always goes thru security fine.just once did they search it because my double cig lighter plug looked suspicious.

ok, it's not exactly as cool, but since it's picture time:

imgp0913.jpg

It's an oldie, but a goodie, and the pilot ok'ed it's use in flight. :D

I have flown with my TT 910 and it will give me a position and speed with relative accuracy. This was in a small cessna or piper and I am sitting behind a large plastic windshield so reception was no problem. In the commercial carrier I imagine it was indeed the fuselage that blocked the signal. As for turning it on in flight I saw no effect on my instruments but then again what I have compared to the commercial carriers is a bit Flintstone. I would imagine it was pretty much the same equipment as my Lowrance Airmap with different software.

Yeah, if you are not sat near a window you can have problems getting good enough reception, due to the metal fuselage.

That whole thing about interference is a total crock. I haven't turned off my phones (I usually carry two) on a plane for at least five years. Not since I saw a stewardess making a call on her cell phone.

Seriously, does anyone actually believe that a mobile phone could dangerously affect on-board equipment? Please. If it could, planes would be falling out of the sky every single day. The worst affect it may have is that the pilot gets a slight clicking noise on the comms system when you receive a call. And only if you are really close to the cockpit. C'mon folks, planes survive lightning strikes without a problem. I don't think 'transmitting devices' (which lighting is incidentally) are going to cause any trouble.

Certainly, I have made dozens of flights with my phones switched on and no member of crew has ever demanded "which maniac has their phone switched on?"! I frequently do a bluetooth search in flight to see how many other people have their phones on too, and usually find a few more like me.

If you believe that stuff, then you must also believe that the only reason the Pentagon shot down that satellite was because of safety concerns surrounding the hydrazine fuel. Sure!

Ask a Question