Text to Speech Question GO 910

I was under the impression when using a computer generated voice that the 910 would speak the name of ALL street names that turns were to be made onto. Is this incorrect. At present I am using a female, computer generated voice. The only names that are spoken are major highways. It just says turn left, right etc., when turning onto normal city and rural streets, even though the approaching street name is displayed (in very small text I might add) on the display.

So I don't have a 910, I have a ONE, but I tested a 910. I vaguely remember having to go into preferences to be sure "street" was selected (or something like that.) Sorry to be so vague, but I do remember I had to check a box to get it to pronounce more than just the highways. Any 910'rs want to jump in?

fanchee:

Indeed, under "Speech preferences", the first and third boxes, when checked, will read aloud street names as well as road numbers respectively.

glad to hear that guys.
Fanchee, nice memory on that option!
When you mention it, I remember doing that option when I first got my 910 and I forgot about it.

Cool, glad all is well! That was probably my favorite feature of the 910, the text to speech. :)

I'm not too impressed with mine. Using all four voices, I'm finding the text-to-speech less than stellar.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Our roads follow a "grid system" whereby the city is divided into NE, NW, SE, and SW quadrants. As such, all streets and addresses are suffixed with one of those quadrant types. For example, my office is located on "27 Ave NE", which should be pronounced by TomTom as "twenty seven avenue northeast".

"Northeast" is always mispronounced as "nor-ortheast" (the "or" is double-pronounced). But what really screws up is any street or avenue ending in "1". If I turn onto 22nd street, it says "turn left, twenty two street nor-ortheast". But if I turn onto 21st street, it says "turn left, twens-reet nor-ortheast". A syllable or two goes missing, every single time. It gets really bad when I turn onto 1 st SE - I think TomTom is trying to deliver that as "first street" rather than "one street", and the mispronunciation gets worse, coming out as "f-s-t southeast" (or something like that).

This happens with all four of the English-language computer generated voices. Without fail, every time. It's not just my unit either: my step-father bought one on the same day (but at a different store), and experiences identical results.

Another annoyance: the text on the bottom of the screen that shows the name of the next street you'll be turning onto, is screwed up in some cases. It seems to be OK if I'm turning onto a named street, ie: "Riverfront Ave. S.E.", but if it's a numbered street, it seems to double the number, ie: "1 ST SE" becomes "1 1 ST SE", and "27 AVE NE" becomes "27 27 AVE NE".

I wonder if the two are related?

Kudos, however, on it correctly pronouncing "Macleod Trail Southeast" (as "McCloud") - I thought that would trip it up. :) I think this weekend I'll take a drive over to Passchendaele Avenue just to see if I can stump it. LOL!

Ask a Question