text to speech

I recently purchased the XL-350TM. Does text to speech only happen when you use the computer voice option??

I've downloaded some of the free community voices like the Indy car drivers voices, but have noticed they don't announce the street names when making left or right turns.

Yes - You need to use a computer voice for Text To Speech and not a 'recorded' voice.

I recently purchased the XL-350TM. Does text to speech only happen when you use the computer voice option??

I've downloaded some of the free community voices like the Indy car drivers voices, but have noticed they don't announce the street names when making left or right turns.
That is correct. The "computer voices" aren't just recordings of a few key phrases like the ones you have downloaded - they're designed to take their best shot at turning text into sound. As a result, they're also much larger and involve quite a number of files including some additional code. My favorite for some time has been Susan. Don't know if she's offered for the 350.

If you choose to install a computer voice, you should find four in English - although some say they find less offered - 2 male, 2 female, 1 each from the UK and US.

If you haven't loaded one before, you may also find it necessary to shove a few of the others off onto your computer to make some space. To use one computer voice on my TomTom takes a total of 46MB. The voice alone is about 42MB of that.

I just loaded Susan back onto my XL350TM. Does it speak street names when you don't plan any routes?? Or does it only speak the street names when you plot destinations?

Only when you have a route set.

But, if you do select susan as the voice, you should hear her when you click 'test'

Ask a Question