Test Locations To See If Mapshare Is Working For You

My conclusion is this: The map TomTom sold me is in error, and now they want me to spend even more money to buy a corrected map.

Offhand, I would say Bing, Google, and Yahoo! all share the same or similar flawed map data. Furthermore, TeleAtlas also had the same or similar flawed map data--which is why they deleted the roads.

And the map TomTom sold me is still wrong. And they don't care. After all, they got their money.

I've heard rumors that low-usage roads are being deleted in the 1GB maps like the one used on the 510. So I'm not totally convinced that you wouldn't have an issue with new maps too. All of us who posted (so far) have the 2GB maps. So just because we have a road doesn't mean you will.

Unfortunately, with the 510 being a 2006 model, I don't know how much focus Tomtom will ever give to your device going forward.

If you're having issues routing from your house, just mapshare-erase all the unconnected roads in your map. Then Tomtom will route from the nearest connected road and you'll get directions to your destination. If you're having issues going to your home, just set your home as "point on map" on the nearest connected road.

Back to the original topic, did anyone else notice that mapshare has improved phenomenally in the past few weeks?

The server is sending 95% of my backlog of edits out (after I reformat). And I'm seeing lots of posts that, for the first time ever, people posting corrections on teleatlas.com are seeing "your correction has been implemented and will be included in the next map" as a response. Something's improved a lot at TT map headquarters.

Last edited:
@mvl,

You may be right about the 1GB maps. In a last-ditch attempt to get an accurate map, I called TomTom support and spoke with "ST Josh C" concerning my deleted local roads. ST Josh C listened to my tale and understood the difficulties I've had with route planning based on Time of Arrival, and the deleted roads.

He very courteously offered to upgrade my older map to Version v845.2666. He seemed unsure; however, whether the local roads in my complex had been "restored" or not. Regrettably--THEY HAVE NOT. After upgrading to v845.2666 and turning on my GO 510, lo and behold, the roads were still missing.

So, what you said about 1GB maps missing more and more information may indeed be true. I guess that's the breaks. I have a 2GB card; but I'm not about to ask for the 2GB map after having received v845.2666. At least ST Josh C made an effort to help--previous Service Techs did nothing but make me more upset and angry.

Mind you, I'm still VERY unhappy about this situation. I feel cheated somehow. Before upgrading to the map I bought, my device worked wonderfully. But, now, not so. I thank ST Josh C for *at least trying* to help. Thanks to everyone else on this Forum who tried to help as well. (Can you tell, I'm giving up?) Thanks again...

Just noticed something on Tomtom's website. North America 2GB is now being offerred for the GO510. You'll need a bigger 2gb SD card, but (unless that's a typo on their website) it appears you can get a 2gb map onto your device after all. See here.

Thank you for that suggestion; but installing the 2GB USA & Canada v8.50 map would still represent an additional expenditure of over $55. That's unacceptable, just to get my local roads back, don't you agree??

After all...it wasn't my fault the roads were GOTTEN RID OF to begin with.... :mad:

Ask a Question