Test Locations To See If Mapshare Is Working For You

Street missing

GPS coordinates:
N 30.404898
W 97.712205
Street incorrect
The map shows that it is not possible to turn left from northbound Gracy Farms Ln onto Hobby Horse Ct, but that's because a portion of Hobby Horse Ct is missing from the map. Hobby Horse goes all the way through to both sides of Gracy Farms Ln.
Change: Permanent
Map USA 2 GB v 825.2157

Google has it wrong, MapQuest has it correct.

For now;) A change may be in the air. Just my opinion of course
In your opinion do you feel TomTom will try and sell Tele Atlas to someone like Google

That or do you have a felling that TomTom will start using Navteq maps.

If you ask me the only change in the air may be users who will be switching to a Garmin with Navteq maps.
I personally haven't bought the new map service as it has not updated areas in Colorado that are present in older Navteq maps.

I feel why buy something that will still be wrong. I can just save my money to either buy a Garmin with correct Navteq maps or buy a future TomTom map update whenever they fix the roads.

For no I use my TomTom to get me over 90% of the way and need to look at a Navteq map such as Live, Yahoo, MapQuest, etc., to see the rest of the route I need to take.

I have learned to rely on both Navteq and Tele Atlas Maps so I need to plan on the TomTom and also online and sometimes print directions.

I was just in Mundeline, IL, and discovered that the TomTom map (TeleAtlas) was way more up to date than the MapQuest (TeleAtlas + Navteq) map in this case. The MapQuest map had whole sections that were missing, and streets that were incomplete. So it looks like it really depends on what part of the country you're in whether the maps are reliable.

The TomTom is a tool to give advice, not to blindly follow. :)

Well, I am frustrated. The new version of the map came out, and NONE of the map corrections I submitted months ago are there. I even submitted corrections directly to Tele Atlas. They say,

We have received your report
We see the problem
We are working on it
We have completed work on it
Your report has been processed by Tele Atlas. No further work is planned.

When I go to Mapquest or Traffic.com, they've got it mostly right, they are using Navteq maps. Why doesn't Tele Atlas use the corrections we send through MapShare or directly to them? What's the point of paying a lot of $$ for "new" maps that continue to be old and out of date?

Here's just one example, try to find this address:
9620 Brader Way, Verona, WI 53593-9296

On the TomTom and Tele Atlas maps, the streets in this area are missing: Brader Way, Veritas Dr, Bear Claw Way. Navteq maps have these streets. These streets have been there for more than a year.
N 43.06315
W 89.55227

OK, so these streets are small and short, but someone trying to navigate there can't find them. Or other corrections I've submitted (like connecting segments across a median), they may seem minor, but the route is then routed blocks away, because the map thinks you can't turn there.

Last edited:
The more posts I see about this issue, the angrier I become...

@ Terrell ...

I'm with you. TeleAtlas/Mapshare coordination/updating seems totally bogus to me. I've posted elsewhere on the forum concerning an error on an allegedly "updated map" that TomTom sold me. The "updated" map actually DELETED local roads in my apartment complex, leaving me without a way to navigate to the main street! When I pointed out the error, TomTom flat out REFUSED to give me a one-time free map correction, saying instead, "We don't guarantee the accuracy of our maps." WELL WHAT THE HECK WAS I PAYING FOR, THEN? A PIECE OF GARBAGE? A USELESS MAP? I'm sorry, I'm STILL angry about this mess.

I am attaching what my so-called "UPDATED MAP" shows. I am also attaching what I can see on that so-called "Map Insight" view at TeleAtlas. So has MapShare updated my map? NO.

What does all this tell me? It tells me, TELEATLAS AND TOMTOM BOTH KNOW THE CHANGE RESULTING IN MY DELETED STREETS WAS WRONG AND INVALID--AND YET THEY BOTH STILL WANT TO SUCK MORE MONEY OUT OF ME BY SELLING ME A CORRECTED MAP!

Look at the evidence in the form of these pictures. WHY WON'T TOMTOM AND TELEATLAS (1) CORRECT MY MAP, or (2) GIVE ME A ONE-TIME FREE CORRECTED MAP--TO REPLACE THE SCREWED-UP MAP THEY SOLD ME?? SO FRUSTRATING!!

Project1.jpg

Um, yeah. I think we understand now. Yup, we got it.

saganized,
Can you please bear in mind that nothing is perfect, in fact, there's no such thing.
I feel your pain but asking for the good every time is too much, what do you think you have 5 years ago?
Give it time to correct their mistakes.
If you don't mind, give me the coordinate so I can check if that section was put back on in v840 or v845 map yet or not.
And if you don't like Tomtom map, then don't buy it.
If you think their update is bad then don't buy it, buy the paper map instead.

Again, to make you feel better, just a litle bit, a tiny bit, that a 30-year-old section in my area just got fixed (updated) after 2 years of making correction in v840 map. How do you feel about that? A wrong display for 30 years? Can I live with it?
Oh, and btw, Garmni with NavTeq has NOT fixed it yet. How do you feel?

Not necessarily but it is a second avenue (besides mapshare) to get the proper information for the location/problem in question.

@pianoCM... The coordinates at issue are 35.57020? -97.65806?.

I am not saying everything is perfect, nor am I saying it should be. What I am saying is that TomTom's "customer service" has left me with an anti-TomTom taste in my mouth.

The crux of the problem is this. After selling me a map that changed the way my GO operates--which I would not have purchased, had I known it would do such--they REFUSE to CORRECT THE ISSUE by replacing that map WITH A GOOD ONE which would restore my GO to its original operating condition.

THAT is what burns me up. Is it going to break this company to make it good again?? Will giving me one lousy map put them in the red?? No. In fact, I might actually PRAISE THEM if they made it good.

Before I bought the map, the GO worked and worked well. But with the faulty map, I can't use the GO from my home to let me know the time it will take to arrive at local destinations.

Again, though, the worst part of this is that TomTom can't see their way to let me have EVEN ONE map correction gratis--after spending good money on a map that didn't work properly! It's their "customer service" I'm having the biggest issue with, not "the map itself."

I probably would have been happy to get a refund and my old map back; but that didn't happen, either. I'm really not "anti-TomTom," pianoCM. I'm "ANTI-TOMTOM CUSTOMER SERVICE." I really don't think I asked them for so much, after spending money for what I thought was "a good map."

Thank you, and sorry it took so long to give you the coordinates.

For saganized.
I checked that area (lat/long provided) with bing/google/yahoo maps, all showed nothing, while teleatlas as well as Tomtom v845 map does cover that area.
For everyone else who saying NavTeq is well better coverage than TeleAtlas, think again.

Hmmm, I thought I did post some attachments by loading them directly on this site b4, can't find that option now. am I too old or that option had been disable?
Update: forget what I said above. Already found out how.

Attachments

• bing_map_no.jpg
    bing_map_no.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 347
  • google_map_no.jpg
    google_map_no.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 339
  • yahoo_map_no.jpg
    yahoo_map_no.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 343
  • teleatlas_map_yes.jpg
    teleatlas_map_yes.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
pianoCM, thanks. That is absolutely bizarre--just a month ago, those unnamed roads were there on all those maps. In fact, if you switch from map to satellite view, you can even see the apartment complex!!

What are the map companies doing to these maps? Deleting roads at random? How ironic is it, that three of them now show no roads in that vicinity at all?? I'm more mystified than ever... :confused:

Still, after seeing what you showed, my question for TomTom remains: You can see the apartments on the satellite view. The roads are there in TeleAtlas. The roads are even there on that new map you put in your last post. So...why can't TomTom make good on this for one customer, one time? Why must they be so inflexible about this?

If they were to replace the bad map with the good version, my GO would work as it originally did again and I'd be perfectly satisfied again. Does TomTom just want me to be angry about this issue??

Anyway...heavy sigh...how much more money would I need to spend to correct this thing? Again, thanks.

PS This is the Bing - Google - Yahoo satellite views of the same vicinity. Notice the apartment complex, roads included. Not more than a month ago, all those roads were on the Bing - Google - Yahoo maps. Anyway, this is just weird. 600-unit apartment complexes don't just up and disappear overnight...the roads should never have been deleted by any of them.

Attachments

• BingGoogleYahoo.jpg
    BingGoogleYahoo.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 394
First issue, satellite image doesn't mean anything in term of navigation, existen roads do.
Second issue, assume if those roads (I mean roads, not satellite images) were indeed shown on Bing/Google/Yahoo maps before and it's gone now, what can we conclude?

Ask a Question