Stupid Mount

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Ok, so the mount is supposedly the strongest that TomTom has.

No doubt, the unit doesn't droop like it does with the 910. The issue is the windshield.

Sometimes, it can stay on forever until I yank it out. However, lately, it's been dropping out and it's quite a hazard especially when it makes a loud sound when it hits the dash and it hits the headlight stalk into high beam and drops to the floor near the pedals.

Other times, it just drops and sits on the dash. Now I don't know if all the drops have weaken the sensitivity of the chip or not (the speed isn't as quick to update as it used to) but it's getting quite annoying.

Does anyone have any solution? (aside from adding water. I'll give that a shot but I always remove the mount from the windshield so I don't always have access to a few drops of water)

I might try a vent mount but the ones at ProClip are pricey.

Looks like the best solution is from Arat. Their mount is attached to a specific vechile device holder. I tried to get more information from a rep I emailed, but he lost communication and haven't received any more responses. I tried to get pricing and other information. It looks like the alternatives either from proclip or arat will be pricy.

There could well be a problem with the mount that allows the seal to loose its vacum. I had another unit that dropped off on a regular basis. I went to a local sound shop. They cleaned the windshield with an alchohol pad and the unit remained attached. Probably worth a try.

There could well be a problem with the mount that allows the seal to loose its vacum. I had another unit that dropped off on a regular basis. I went to a local sound shop. They cleaned the windshield with an alchohol pad and the unit remained attached. Probably worth a try.
Yeah, I might give a shot at cleaning the windshield. Thanks.

I have had the same problem. Until I find a better solution, I use velcro to attach the unit to the dash.

Surface preparation

Hi,

I had trouble with suction mounts on various car windshields until I tried Rain X (or equivalent). It seems to work better than spit, for me.

I apply a liberal amount of Rain X to the inside of the cup and then push the cup onto the windshield. I have one suction mount that is still in the same spot without falling off for over a year on one of my cars.

I think it has to do with the Rain X making the windshield glass smother, which makes the suction better and leaks slower. From the Rain X web page, "formulated with a transparent polymer that fills the microscopic pores of glass with hydrophobic molecules that force rain sleet and snow to bead-up and roll off."

Your mileage may vary. No affiliation with Rain X. Yada, yada, yada.

Hi,

I had trouble with suction mounts on various car windshields until I tried Rain X (or equivalent). It seems to work better than spit, for me.

I apply a liberal amount of Rain X to the inside of the cup and then push the cup onto the windshield. I have one suction mount that is still in the same spot without falling off for over a year on one of my cars.

I think it has to do with the Rain X making the windshield glass smother, which makes the suction better and leaks slower. From the Rain X web page, "formulated with a transparent polymer that fills the microscopic pores of glass with hydrophobic molecules that force rain sleet and snow to bead-up and roll off."

Your mileage may vary. No affiliation with Rain X. Yada, yada, yada.

Great tip yeswork! This forum rocks!

Yeah, so it fell 4 times yesterday.. argh.

I think it might be the humidity. I'm wondering if sticking the mount when the windshield is cold (and I'm breathing on it as I stick it on) makes a weaker mount. I thought water would be a good thing lol.

Ask a Question