TomTom XXL 540S Giving Stupid Directions

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XXL 540S
My house is directly in front of a street (a T-intersection and I'm in the middle of the top of the T where meets the road in front of it) and you can turn left or right out of the driveway without a problem.

The dedicated TomTom device I have insists I drive up the road in front of my house until a roundabout, then turn back down on to the street I was just on and turn left or right the way I need to do. In reality, I'd just turn that way from my house - there is no need to use the street infront of me.

That probably doesn't make a lot of sense, so here's some pictures:

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

I've tried to edit the map (as the TomTom lets you do that), but in this mode, it is correct and already states traffic can flow both ways.

The iPhone app version of TomTom doesn't do this, but the standalone one does. Any ideas how to fix it? Is it worth contacting TomTom about?

Last edited:
Have you tried disabling IQ routes?

This has helped my XXL 540S make better routing decisions.

I know the consensus here by the pros is to have this enabled, but in my area, disabling IQ routes has made the crazy routing stop. This may be due to the fact I live in a very densely populated area where heavy traffic is the norm and IQ routes is trying to help me by routing "creatively"... ie, CRAZY.

I have not updated my XXL 540S yet.... still thinking about waiting for the next map update. It's interesting how they update the maps right BEFORE Christmas.....

Plus there has been a lot more cons posted about the v840 maps then pros here and elsewhere.

Eventually I will update and when I do I will post my results with IQ routes enabled.

Make sure you take the advice of the moderator to BACKUP your unit manually!!! Read the posts at the top of each forum about "So you got a Tom Tom for Christmas"...

Don't wait to upgrade to 840 or you will be out of luck. The 840 came out November 20th so the next one is due in February, long after the 30-day guarantee is up.

Not sure where you're reading about problems with the 840 maps. Yes, some have had issues upgrading BUT content wise, the 840 maps are much better than the 835 maps in most areas.

Tomtom has a road-snapping algorithm.

If you're in your driveway, the Tomtom will "snap" your location to the nearest road which is in the middle of the intersection.

As you move down the driveway, the Tomtom notices you're moving North and then has to assume you're driving down Ivanhoe Ave again snapping to the nearest road. (Then it sees the rotary at the next intersection and thinks it's a great place for a uturn rather then turning in the middle of a road.)

My house is directly in front of a street (a T-intersection and I'm in the middle of the top of the T where meets the road in front of it) and you can turn left or right out of the driveway without a problem.

The dedicated TomTom device I have insists I drive up the road in front of my house until a roundabout, then turn back down on to the street I was just on and turn left or right the way I need to do. In reality, I'd just turn that way from my house - there is no need to use the street infront of me.

After selecting the route have you gone Find alternative > Avoid part of route and then selected the intersection with the roundabout.
Cheers, Arno

Ask a Question