TomTom XXL 540s

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540S
Newbie to this forum and to TomTom:
1)Does the Advanced Lane Guidance work in Canada (Montreal) ?
I have been travelling to different destinations in and around Montreal on major highways and It never showed up..
2)Traffic:Bought RDS-TMC receiver;manually set frequency to 91.9 (Montreal),got a connection (full green dot) but never saw traffic reports yet..
Regards
magellat,Mtl
TomTom XXL 540S

Except for four exits in the Maritimes, I do not believe there is ANY Advanced Lane Guidance ANYWHERE in Canada on any map, including the newest 840! :mad:
-----------------------------------------------
See further posts below.....I stand corrected

Last edited:
2)Traffic:Bought RDS-TMC receiver;manually set frequency to 91.9 (Montreal),got a connection (full green dot) but never saw traffic reports yet..

Haven't heard any issues with RDS-TMC traffic on app 8.014 or later in Canada. What happens if you set the frequency to automatic? Have you checked during rush hour?

Except for four exits in the Maritimes, I do not believe there is ANY Advanced Lane Guidance ANYWHERE in Canada on any map, including the newest 840! :mad:

Yes there is but not much though. No ALG in Ottawa and nothing all the way from Ottawa to Hamilton through Hwy 401, Hwy 427 and QEW.

Today I went from Hamilton to Brampton and when I reached Hwy 403 many ALGs appear all the way to Hwy 410. So ALG is now on Hwy 403 in GTA only so far. Expecting map 845 will add more ALG in GTA and hopefully in Ottawa too.

ALG Hwy 403

ALG Hwy 403 Erin Mills exit

Last edited:
Really! Well, thanks for the feedback. I take the 403 almost weekly from the 407 to Eglinton for my grandson's hockey games but don't use the gps. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks...........

[Next Day]

Planned a route from Hamilton to Brampton using the 403 and indeed saw about 5 or 6 instances of ALG and Reality View on the 403 starting west of Erin Mills Pkwy.

Will wonders never cease? :p

Wonder if others will find more examples of ALG in their 840 Canadian maps. I'm using the North_America_2GB version in mine.

Again, thanks.

Last edited:
ALG in Canada

This is the answer I received from TomTom CS regarding this issue with TomTom XXL 540S
Regards
magellat

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with Tom Tom products and support. At Tom Tom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line team, Product Management and Marketing Team. I can assure our product support team is working diligently on getting this available for Canadian customers. We do hope to give you a solution as soon as possible. We apologize for any frustration this has caused and appreciate your patience while we continue to improve your customer experience.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST.

With Best Regards,

Marie
Tom Tom Customer Support

Today I went from Hamilton to Brampton and when I reached Hwy 403 many ALGs appear all the way to Hwy 410. So ALG is now on Hwy 403 in GTA only so far. Expecting map 845 will add more ALG in GTA and hopefully in Ottawa too.
ALG Hwy 403
ALG Hwy 403 Erin Mills exit
Thanks for posting those.

Don't bank on 845 for ALG all over.
In June 2008 with the 805 maps I had ALG and Reality view in lots of places in the UK on my 930.
After extensive posting on a Support ticket they said the map after the next one would include ALG in Canada and agreed to give me that map for free because I told them that I allowed them to buy back my unit at full retail price due to their, in my opinion, fraudulent advertising.
When 815 came out a long hustle with Support but a supervisor finally released the map to me as I kept on telling them to read the ticket where I had confirmed the telephone conversations in writing.

Planned a route from Hamilton to Brampton using the 403 and indeed saw about 5 or 6 instances of ALG and Reality View on the 403 starting west of Erin Mills Pkwy.

I ran that route in Demo mode and yes, the ALG works there but the Reality View did not even when I tried it on a couple of exits at 100 % speed.

Let's hope it is like the phone, which does not work connected through HOME.

Thanks all.

Maybe 8.302 is the culprit.
Instead of the faster way 401 > 427 > QEW to Hamilton I'll try the 403 end of January and change to 8.351 (or maybe newer by then) for the trial.
Thanks.

Arno, if you have a spare 4GB SD/ SDHC card consider putting an entire copy of the Flash memory except the maps on to the card then install Navcore 8,351 to the memory card.

With the card inserted the device will boot from the Memory card and run the Navcore 8,351, with the card removed the device will boot from the Flash memory built in using 8,302

This offers a quick and easy way to switch between the two Navcores, just don't use Favourites or the MapSettings.cfg file might throw a few errors when switching between Navcores.

If you want to run two copys of the same map one on the card and the other on the internal then this is possible by editting the contents of the .pna file so both maps have a unique (identifiable) name - I use this dual boot technique quite often when messing around with different Navcore versions, the twin map install also overcomes the MapSettings.cfg issues - Mike

Good advice as usual, Mike.

Also, Arno, I had to set the route to use alternate and specifically designate 403EB since it wanted (naturally) to use the 407 from the 401.

Mike,- I'll try that in the next few days. I only have the W&CE map and the Loquendo TTS folder on the SDHC card. I can delete both because I have more than enough back ups for the card.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers, Arno

I had to set the route to use alternate and specifically designate 403EB since it wanted (naturally) to use the 407 from the 401.
I used A .. B from Winston Churchill to Eastgate/Dixie for the 100 % trial after I went from QEW/Burlington St to Dixie/Shawson.
I will follow Mike's suggestion with the SDHC card.

In my experience 8.302 shows lane guidance just as often as 8.351 does.

Does your preferences menu say "hide lane images" (which means they're currently showing)?

Under status bar preferences, is "show lane guidance" checked on the second screen?

In my experience 8.302 shows lane guidance just as often as 8.351 does.
Does your preferences menu say "hide lane images" (which means they're currently showing)?
Ooooops.!!!
This time it was set for Show lane images !, and of course it works.
It's been so long since I tried the last time.
Mike, thanks.

Ask a Question