street address containing letters

How do I enter a street address with letters? e.g. 14A158 State Street
It looks like I can only enter numbers.

TT GO 730

Last edited:
Try it without the letter and see what happens. Applications for newer models can now handle alphanumeric addresses.

Unfortunately, the app for the 730 (8.351) can't very easily and it doesn't appear as if an upgrade will ever take place for that model.

I've come across several instances where an address includes a hyphen, such as:

100-19 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, NY
8-01 Fair Lawn Avenue, Fair Lawn, NJ

(BTW, these are a post office and a municipal building, in case anyone is wondering if I'm carelessly publishing someone's real address)

On my GO 740 with 850 maps, the correct locations (within typical accuracy) are found by searching for the following addresses:

10019 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, NY
8 Fair Lawn Avenue, Fair Lawn, NJ

My point is that it's not just an issue with the on-screen keyboard and the inability to type in the address, there's the additional problem of the maps not containing anything other than numerical information for the address. So even if we could type in the non-numerical part, TomTom wouldn't be able to find it anyway. Additionally, the translation from the "real" address to the "database" address (at least in these two cases) is inconsistent, so there's not real way for us to know what to type in order to get the correct result. It seems as though it's just pot luck.

It's as if this field in the map database is limited to containing only numerical data.

Last edited:
It's as if this field in the map database is limited to containing only numerical data.
That the map data works as well with addresses as it does is a function of 'ranging'. They don't include every individual address in the map database. Rather, ranges of addresses are included that cover a specific section of road. Ask for a specific address, and the unit will interpolate between two known addresses to find the one you want (unless you just happen to hit an address on one or the other end of a range that was recorded).

For all of that to work, in particular the interpolation, there must be some consistent method of addressing that can be used such that the unit can approximate a location for you.

Goofball addresses like 14A158 create obvious problems both in mapping and interpolation of addresses. What's just east of there ... 14B158 (who knows what system), 14A157 (straight descending), 14A156 (descending even/odd), or ???

Could be worse. In Japan, addresses are exceptionally complicated as it is (section and subsection numbers of a named area), but the kicker is that within the smallest defined "section", the actual house or building numbers were often assigned in the order in which they were built! Imagine the block for your house. Forget what's across the street, that's on another block! Your "block" is assigned house numbers along each of its sides in order of build. Only really major streets tend to have names, but they don't figure into the address. Too strange, eh?

Ask a Question