Finding city name using street address

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
A few years back I bought a 730, which has served me well.
However, one missing "feature" which I've seen discussed on-and-off in this forum is the ability to find a city name based on the street address.

Living in a large metro area, when I get an address, I usually have no idea what city it's in - "the Denver metro area" is about as close as I can guess.

There was talk of some brand having, or going-to-have the ability for searching street names/addresses first and offering the cities in which they match.

I've recently surveyed the sites and forums looking for a PND with this feature, but so far have not gotten a hit.

Anyone know of a PND with this capability?

Garmins allow the street first. Often requested for tomtoms, but never implemented so far.

Wunnerful. Thanks! I would think given the "Often requested for tomtoms, but never implemented..." that Garmin would be hooking their marketing horn on that feature, but reading through the mfg info today I never saw it.

On the Garmins, would you happen to know if it's true that you cannot change the route calculated by specifying a particular road to avoid? I'm thinking specifically of the 3790T. Seems like a strange omission.

Thanks in advance.

Being a tomtom forum, there aren't many here with answers for you regarding Garmin models.

But, if you go here:
GPS Review : GPS Reviews, and post in the Garmin section there, I'm sure you'll get the answers you seek.

The most recent Garmin 24xx models and the older, now discontinued (but available) 8xx series allow specific roads and even entire areas to be omitted from route calculations. Otherwise the rest of the nuvi line requires judicious use of 'Via" points to avoid a specific road, not the most elegant of solutions. Takes DHN's advice to visit GPSReview.net for better Garmin coverage. This is really a TomTom-centic forum as the name might imply. ;)

Ask a Question