what if I know street address but not the city name?

I often know the street address and state but not the strange town/suburb... On my old gps, I could skip the city name and go right to the street address. It might have more choices but I could do it...

This is a major problem.......... any way around it?

That's a problem with TomTom software. It insists upon a city first. The more recent maps and firmware combo may show the city if you try a location you "think" the street is in.

re

omg, this is a terrible and inexplicable flaw....

I live in the suburb of a major city. every other street in the suburbs has a different "town" name and no one knows the town names, not even those who live there. We just use the major city name in our addresses.

I tried using the major city name and my own address........ nothing....

screwed. I am going to have to send this back. How could this possibly get through so many iterations of the software...

and it seems like it would be a simple fix.

my built in volvo navitron software easily allows me to skip the city........

horrible.

I am pissed!

Keep in mind that factory navs have more space. Yes it's a simple function I know (and one that makes search a lot easier cause you only have to start typing the street and the nav will pop up the cities with the street name) but the smaller models especially are limited in size.

re: space

apologies apologies... why do you apologize for such a flaw. I wouldn't care if I didn't think the rest of this device was amazing.... I'd shed it in a second.. how could they let such a flaw make it to production... in so many models?

this is a major flaw any way you look at it..

more space? there is space for music, there is space for pictures. Durn..this is a GPS! those functions come first.

this isn't just a small problem. I couldn't find a house for the life of me tonight because I didn't know the name of the suburb. My tomtom was USELESS!

there is no excuse for this. My first generation garmin that had 1/100th the computing ability and space that this has allowed you to search by street address.

I don't care about it being easy or not... I can be inconvenienced... but I can't come up with the name of a city out of thin air. This isn't a convenience issue. It is a useablity issue. Unless there is a workaround, this unit is worthless.

Last edited:
I understand this as well being an over the road truck driver. There have been a few times (Dallas TX especially) where I try to look up and address and I put in the major city and it wont find it cause it want the specific suburb name and the address given to me is say dallas TX when really it is in a tiny tiny suburb within the dallas area. It has only happend a tiny number of times but a pain none the less when it did happen.

re

if you can't depend on this, it is useless....

I was so hoping there was a workaround that someone was going to suggest. There is no way they could have designed this so poorly... please tell me it isn't so.

The way TT searches for an address would be asking Country then State then City then Street and finally house number.
If you do know your City name, theoritically, it should be able to find the address.

Post one of your address so we can try on our device.

re example

The address 2 Mansel Drive, Reisterstown MD...

Most people think it is Owings Mills MD, many think it is Lutherville MD (both within a mile). It is a suburb of Baltimore MD.

No one would be able to find this address unless they happened to know it was Reisterstown. I would bet most people in the Baltimore area, much less any other area would know it was Reisterstown... Some might guess...so you'd have to try Lutherville, Owings mills etc.

ridiculous. I am guessing this is a problem for many people. I think I am going to have to send this back....

Last edited:
I realize this isn't a total fix but if you know where it is you want the unit to take you the one option you can use is to navigate to point on map.
This isn't quite as good as just putting street in but better than nothing.

Hopefully TT will modify there next application to rectify this .

The address 2 Mansel Drive, Reisterstown MD.......

Yep, with firmware 8.3 and NA map 8.10, I needed to select Reisterstown before I could get to Mansel Street. :(

As was pointed out, if you kept your unit, you could make a mapshare correction for it and share with others.

re

thanks...

point on the map might help but my issue is I may not know at all where I am going......

the correction would work for Mansel...but I know that area... GPS is by definition for where I don't know and I assume every suburb has this same issue.

re

version 8.300

I hear there is a later version...but I just got mine and updated online. Shouldn't it be the newest version?

That is NOT the map version. That is the firmware version (and yes, it is the latest firmware).

Tap the satellite bars to see the firmware version. Now, tap the version number to see the MAP version and build. That's the info I'd like to see.

Your map is waaaaay out of date. That map is over a year old. Did you not use the LMG to update your map?

p.s. continue the thread either here or at the other forum, not both. Will make it easier on both of us. :eek:

I have no problem finding the provided address above in both Google Maps and my GO920.

Give us another sample of address that you said you could NOT find.

While I understand the frustration of not finding the address but I really don't get why you guys want the option of selecting street name (before or not by city name) first.
Living in MA, standing somewhere in MA, looking for Main St with no given a city name or town name is totally silly.
I mean whenever I want to send a mail via post office, I do need to know the town name, I don't believe USPS will send my mail to the correct destination if it says "1 Main St, empty, MA, USA"

Ask a Question