Spoken instructions not working any more

Hi all,

I've just upgraded my old Pocket PC based Tomtom 3 to a 720 Go after the old one broke for good.

I had the 720 working fine for about a day, using a computer generated voice to speak street names and all was well.

My wife used the 720 yesterday and it didn't speak to her once. No matter what we did, swapping between computer and normal voices, we couldn't get a peep out of it, even the "Test" button on the voice selction screen did nothing. At this point the low battery warning came on so I charged it up overnight and tried again on my way to work this morning.

I was all expectant, since the "Test" button was working again before I set off, but lo and behold, no voice commands on the journey. The test button is now intermittent again, with both computer and human voices.

Is this likely to be a faulty unit? If I get it replaced, canI transfer the Western Europe maps I boguht for it to the new device (they are on an SD card), or are they tied to my unit's serial number?

Any help appreciated, I loved this thing until last night!

Cheers,

Richard

Have you tried using the reset button under the unit or resetting to factory specs?

I tried the reset button and it didn't appear to do anything. I assumed it would reset to factory defaults, so maybe there is another option I haven't tried, thanks. Is the factory reset a TomtomHome function (I'm at work without the ability to connect the 720 at present).

I'll give it a try tonight and report back, thanks.

Now I did check that thread before posting, but it seems that the poster there is having problems only with his computer voice and his human voices are still working.

I was going to try the Flash tool mentioned in that thread jsut to see if it worked...

Is there any info on moving my purchased maps from this unit to another if it does turn out to be faulty?

I tried the reset button and it didn't appear to do anything. I assumed it would reset to factory defaults, so maybe there is another option I haven't tried, thanks. Is the factory reset a TomtomHome function (I'm at work without the ability to connect the 720 at present).

I'll give it a try tonight and report back, thanks.
The "Reset Factory Settings" is an icon on the unit in the "Preferences" menu. It is on one of the last pages of about 8 pages. I don't know if it will help but its worth a try.

Ask a Question