Speed Limit warning

TomTom Model(s)
GO720
I have turn-on the Speed Limit Warning in the preference....but I have never receive any warning when I drove pass the speed limit of any street or hwy.

Does this function works for anyone else?

The warning for a set speed works (e.g. I set it to 120 km/hr ... and the 720 is able to warning me when I drove faster then 120 km/hr)

However, the warning for speed limit doesn't seem to work.

Doesn't it depend on the road data?

I had a similar worry about my 910 a year ago, until i found it telling me I was 5 or 10 mph over the limit on some roads, though not on most.

Others on the forum told me that the speed limit data is embedded in the road location data from the supplier. It apparently is available for only a few roads.

There are two setting on the GO720. One you can set the speed you want it to monitor and the other is for the posted speed limits. Have you marked one of the warnings?

There are two setting on the GO720. One you can set the speed you want it to monitor and the other is for the posted speed limits. Have you marked one of the warnings?

I have enabled both. But I am only getting warning when I drove faster then the set speed (e.g. 120km/hr in my setting).

But if I drove 100km/hr on a 60km/hr road ...the unit doesn't seem to care .... and there is no warning.

i have yet to see any of the speed limit warning while driving in the US -- however on a recent trip to europe -- almost EVERY road i was on had the proper speed limit warning -- and if i went over it -- it beeped and was red -- i really liked using it-- that way i didn't have to convert KMH to MPH in my feable little mind

If Tom Tom is not for North America, then don't sell it here.

i have yet to see any of the speed limit warning while driving in the US -- however on a recent trip to europe -- almost EVERY road i was on had the proper speed limit warning -- and if i went over it -- it beeped and was red -- i really liked using it-- that way i didn't have to convert KMH to MPH in my feable little mind

does it means the map data in the 720 have speed limit data for Europe .. but not for North America? this will be very disappointing.
I bought this unit because I like the features they advertised (eg. hands-free calling, speed limit warning, etc) .... but both of those functions are not working for me !!! :mad:

They are misleading the customer, should we be starting a class action lawsuits?!

i'm not really sure -- but they do seem to concentrate on EU more than here in the US

i hate that we don't get voice recognition!!! WHY -- its just stupid

While we are on the subject of things not working, did any of you guys figure out how to display max speed next to speed? Its under status bar properties (Show max speed next to Speed).

The "speed limit" warning seems to work for me but it will only warn you one time if you exceed the speed limit you set. I have not experienced it constantly warning me that I am exceeding the limit I set.

I don't think the US version of the 720 knows the speed limits of the roads. I do speed and exceed the speed limit on many of the major roads and do not get the other warning sound from my 720.

Ask a Question