910 speed limit warning

TomTom Model(s)
910 w iPod & Razr connections
I've asked TomTom support this question but no one has responded: The manual suggests that the 510 and 910 will display a speed in red if it exceeds a limit entered in the database, and that it will flash red if the speeding is excessive. I'd sooner have that warning than one telling me a speed camera is near, but I have yet to see the speeding display, either on Michigan two-lane roads or on its freeways. Has anyone observed this feature on a TomTom in the US? Is the data available in UK or European databases?

Hello and welcome to the forum, I myself wasnt aware of this feature and havent notice of any warnings whatsoever on my 510. I am also very curious on how to enable this feature, please keep us posted if TomTom gives you a respond but in the meantime, I am going to do some digging and see what I can come up with.

edited: Ok I just did some digging and it seems like that this feature(Speed Cameras) you are refering to is a part of the TomTomPLUS content&services but it does appear that it is free but the only catch again it seems like is, they are only referring to European customers again even though I was looking on the US side of their site regarding this feature. :confused:

I am pretty sure that one can install Speed camera POIs and have warning be linked to it and make it work that way.

I mis-spoke: the speed limit warning capability is described in an FAQ on the TomTom support site. Here's what it says:

Can my GO 910/510 show me the speed limit for the road I am on?

Answer
To help you navigation more safe, your GO 910/510 can show you the speed limit for the road on which you are traveling.

The speed limit is shown next to your current speed. When you drive faster than the speed limit, the speed limit is shown in red. If you drive considerably above the speed limit, the speed limit flashes in red.

Note: Information regarding speed limits is included with the latest maps and may not be available for all roads.

Pedro2NR, does that feature work on all roads in your area? Residential streets, four-lane business areas, freeways? Is there any place you drive (in the LA area?) where it doesn't work?
Do you use a 510?
Does a 510 have more uptodate map data on its SD card than on a 910's hard drive? It appears that state by state downloads are possible for the SD card databases, but I don't think that's the case for the 910.

Hmm interesting, and yeah Pedro2NR since you are also in Los Angeles and have a 910 I saw on the Showoff forum, that means my 510 should also work =P Now do you have to enable that feature or was it auto? Cause I just goto work just now and I been doing over 90 on the freeways and I get no warnings ;)

And the speed limit would have to be embedded in the map data, wouldn't it?

Ok, I actually just talked to a gal over at TomTom and she told me that we goto Change Preferences -> Status bar Preferences -> Then she thinks is Check Speed but I couldnt find a check speed except I did see there is an Option to turn on the SPEED indicator on the status bar which was already checked. She was nice but I am guessing not sure completely of the technical aspect of the unit. Anyhow, while I was on the phone I told her about the forum and that maybe they can add a link to our site from TomTom since we are getting no love =P So she told me she can have someone call me back and see what they can do. I might ask that person about it when or if he does then.

Edited: One thing though she did mentioned that it doesnt work on all roads, but since Pedro said it works for him in LA, then I dont see why I havent seen it on mine yet.

It worked for me. 2 nights ago. I was on the 5 interstate heading towards Hollywood and we were driving 69 mph and the speed limit on the 5 there is 55mph. It displayed it like this: 69/55

Remember, the speed displayed on the TomTom is less than the speed displayed on the speedo in your car.(Nanny State)

Its all got to do with the Doppler Effect.

The satnav gives a true reading when constant.

First a couple of words about myself. I live in Europe (Norway). I have been using TomTom for PDA for 5 years and I'm now using a GO910.

There is no option to turn on / off the display of speed limit. If you display the speed in the navigator screen, the speed limit is automatically displayed. The only way to turn it off is to turn off the display of the current speed.

The information about the speed limit is included in the map data, but there are many roads which do not have this information. But ifthe information is there, it is displayed in the navigator screen. It seems to me that more roads have this information in Europe than in the US. I was driving a 5000 miles trip in the US in July, and the speed limit appeared for a few roads, but not many.

My experience from Norway is that I would like an option to turn it off. The reason is that the information about the speed limit is wrong in about 50% of the roads that I drive. It is very frustrating that it starts blinking in red when I drive 20 miles below the speed limit!

It worked for me. 2 nights ago. I was on the 5 interstate heading towards Hollywood and we were driving 69 mph and the speed limit on the 5 there is 55mph. It displayed it like this: 69/55

Well I guess its not accurate info anyhow then, the speed limit in Los Angeles now is 65 and not 55, I cant remember when it was 55 ... it has to be around 10 years ago that the freeways was 55... omg thats really outdated info that I am not eager to die for lolz. Plus everyone drives 80-90mph nowadays anyways, so yeah I can see that it can get really really annoying when it keeps blinking.. especially if there is no way to turn it off except turning off the speed all together. TT is losing major points here lately with me hehe...:rolleyes:

John, There are parts of the 5 freeway that is only 55 mph. It's where the 5 and the 710 freeway meet. But other than that time, I haven't gotten a red display.

speed indication

I enabled mine to indicate my speed.
I dont think there is anything else
you need to do for speed warnings.
It should indicate a speed warning if
the map has speed limit for the road
AND you are over the limit by at least
some amount.

John, There are parts of the 5 freeway that is only 55 mph. It's where the 5 and the 710 freeway meet. But other than that time, I haven't gotten a red display.

Hmm you sure??? cause I just drove by that way on Sat on my way to Lowes and didnt notice any blinking ... hmmm anyhow I am gonna keep an eye out for it next time I pass by that way.. and I didnt realize the Speed limit there was 55 haha, strange.:rolleyes:

Hmm you sure??? cause I just drove by that way on Sat on my way to Lowes and didnt notice any blinking ... hmmm anyhow I am gonna keep an eye out for it next time I pass by that way.. and I didnt realize the Speed limit there was 55 haha, strange.:rolleyes:

John,

I have noticed this "feature" on mine when I'm on the 10 West between the 57 ramp and the 15 freeway.

I have not noticed it pop up anywhere else. And yes, it has the outdated speed limit of 55

Hi all,

Thought I would clarify this function. It is available on all x10 devices.

1) you do need to enable this option Change preferences>Status bar preferences>Speed.

2) The speed limit will only be displayed where the road speed data is embedded in the maps. It is not available for all roads.

3) Local variations in speed may not be shown correctly. AFAIK, the speed limits are based on road types, i.e.: Freeway = 55mph.

4) Where available the speed limit is shown compared to your current speed, e.g.: 51/55 (you are travelling 51 on a 55mph road).

5) Below the 'limit' your speed is shown in white. 5% above the limit your speed is shown in red, 10% over the limit and above and your speed flashes in red.

Ask a Question