Over Speed Limit warning set point change? (ONE 3rd edition)

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 3rd Editiion
I have searched, but havent found much.
I have a TomTom one 3rd edition.

I want to change the alert point for my over the speed limit warning. Currently, it warns me whenever I am 5MPH over the limit. I pretty much drive at 5MPH over the limit, so I would prefer if it warns me when I am 8MPH over the limit. Right now, its always beeping all the time. I want to change this setting, but I dont see any option to do so.

What can I do to fix this?

Other than turning off the warning, not much I'm afraid. The 5 mph is hard coded.

On my 720 there are 2 settings under Safety Preferences: Warn when faster than allowed (which is hard coded, I think for 5 mph over) and Warn when driving faster than a set speed for which you can set a specific speed. The latter won't do what you want because you may be on roads where the speed limit is, say 50 kph. ou can set the set the warning for 58 and it'll work.

But..........you then move to a road where the set speed is, say 65 kph. Well, it won't warn you at 73 but STILL will warn you at 58!

On my 720 there are 2 settings under Safety Preferences: Warn when faster than allowed (which is hard coded, I think for 5 mph over) and Warn when driving faster than a set speed for which you can set a specific speed. The latter won't do what you want because you may be on roads where the speed limit is, say 50 kph. ou can set the set the warning for 58 and it'll work.

But..........you then move to a road where the set speed is, say 65 kph. Well, it won't warn you at 73 but STILL will warn you at 58!

LOL I had forgotten I had my ONE XL set to warn at 55 MPH, and when I was on the airplane going 500 MPH, it kept going off. The warning sound I have it set to sounds JUST like the airplane seatbelt sound.

I have searched, but havent found much.
I have a TomTom one 3rd edition.

I want to change the alert point for my over the speed limit warning. Currently, it warns me whenever I am 5MPH over the limit. I pretty much drive at 5MPH over the limit, so I would prefer if it warns me when I am 8MPH over the limit. Right now, its always beeping all the time. I want to change this setting, but I dont see any option to do so.

What can I do to fix this?

I have a 3rd edition and I changed my speed alert. But I chose not to use 'above speed limit' but to a 'set speed'. Here's how:

Tap screen...
  • "Change preferences"
  • "Safety preferences"
  • I turn off 'Warn when driving faster than allowed" THEN
  • put check mark in 'Warn when driving faster than a set speed"
  • click 'done'
  • now enter speed you want TomTom to alert you (mine's set to 77)
  • Tap 'OK'
  • select the alert sound (I prefer 'polite 2' which is a low gong sound)
  • continue with the 2 choices left as you want them, then 'done'

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a 3rd edition and I changed my speed alert. But I chose not to use 'above speed limit' but to a 'set speed'. Here's how:

Tap screen...
  • "Change preferences"
  • "Safety preferences"
  • I turn off 'Warn when driving faster than allowed" THEN
  • put check mark in 'Warn when driving faster than a set speed"
  • click 'done'
  • now enter speed you want TomTom to alert you (mine's set to 77)
  • Tap 'OK'
  • select the alert sound (I prefer 'polite 2' which is a low gong sound)
  • continue with the 2 choices left as you want them, then 'done'

Hope this helps.

It was said that this is pointless because speed limits vary so much in different areas. He simply wants to be warned when he goes 8 miles above the speed limit, which is not possible.

It was said that this is pointless because speed limits vary so much in different areas. He simply wants to be warned when he goes 8 miles above the speed limit, which is not possible.
He said it was beeping all the time and wanted to change the setting. Since you can't change the 5mph over speed limit, this is just another way of being alerted at a certain speed. It works for me because the speed limits I'm concerned with are on I-95 -- which is 70mph. Just a suggestion.

Cm'mon, people, make your life easier, not harder, will ya?
If annoyance by its beep, then why not just turn off completely?
Tomtom set speed limit on roads that have those info, how many of you guys actually driving 35mph in the local street? driving 55mph on the highway and keep speeding at 65mph throughout Boston, MA to Orlando, FL???
In fact, we, daily, drive with the speed of the traffic flow, not by the speed limit. Tomtom implemented these tools and we keep ask for more and more.
BTW, driving on road that limit 35mph, TT unit goes off when hits 39 or 40mph and if you keep driving above that speed, there will be NO MORE beeping.
It only beeps again if you drop below that range then speed up over it again.
So, three choices to not hearing the beep, one, turn that thing off, two, keep driving over the speed limit (just one beep) or three, driving below the speed limit

Cm'mon, people, make your life easier, not harder, will ya?
If annoyance by its beep, then why not just turn off completely?
Tomtom set speed limit on roads that have those info, how many of you guys actually driving 35mph in the local street? driving 55mph on the highway and keep speeding at 65mph throughout Boston, MA to Orlando, FL???
In fact, we, daily, drive with the speed of the traffic flow, not by the speed limit. Tomtom implemented these tools and we keep ask for more and more.
BTW, driving on road that limit 35mph, TT unit goes off when hits 39 or 40mph and if you keep driving above that speed, there will be NO MORE beeping.
It only beeps again if you drop below that range then speed up over it again.
So, three choices to not hearing the beep, one, turn that thing off, two, keep driving over the speed limit (just one beep) or three, driving below the speed limit

I would prefer if it warns me when I am 8MPH over the limit.

The answer is NO. It simply is not possible. And shutting off his warnings won't yeild him what he wants.

Heh, so my tongue-in-cheek suggestion to change all the relevant road speeds by +3 to 5mph would have worked, then... :p

R?

LOL! I misunderstood your original post but after re-reading it, that WOULD work perfectly for him, although it wouldn't be very nice for other TomTom users around his area.

Edit: Then again, he can choose NOT to share his changes with other people. Well there you go! Go Ricochet!!!

Last edited:
Exactly. Thanks for the clarification for the others. I guess I will have to wait until I am ready to purchase a new GPS, then I can nit-pick on what I want for my next purchase.

I agree with the annoyance. It should take a programmer a whole 60 minutes of effort to implement a new parameter to hold a "percentage variance" number, say +5% or -10% or whatever you prefer, to be applied to all the map speed limits, for this warning tone threshold.....and make so many of us much happier.

I swear the folks that design these device's software don't use them like many of us do... ;)

Ask a Question