Speed Limit Warnings

JVi

TomTom Model(s)
looking to buy
I'm interested in finding a Tom Tom with speed warnings as similar as possible to my old Navigon 2000S which gave me a voice alert, "Caution", when I exceeded my selected setting of 5 MPH over the limit in urban areas and 10 over in rural areas. It also recognized school zones accordingly.

TomTom's site (http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/via-series/via-1605-tm/) states that "Features for all TomTom car navigation" includes "
Speeding alert". Question 1: How close is that type of warning to the Navigon I described above?

I have no plans to connect a cell phone to a GPS unit. Question 2: Given that, if I were to choose the START 55 TM, what would I be missing for not selected instead the VIA 1605 TM or the GO 2535 TM?

And finally, I see at Walmart.com that they are selling a "TomTom VIA 1535TM 5" GPS w/Lifetime Traffic & Map Updates". Question 3:What is the best way to see if a particular GPS unit with lifetime updates still has them available (assuming Tom Tom determines when the product lifetime is over)?

I'll appreciate any help with these questions. Thank you very much.

Welcome to TTF.

1. All current TomTom models have a safety setting of 'warn when driving faster than allowed'. BUT none have a user setting for how much faster before the warning goes off; instead, it is built into the application that the warning goes off about 10% higher than the posted speed for the road the user is on. And, yes, there is a safety warning if travelling in a school zone.

2. The Start 55 is referred to as a Nav2 device and, as such, uses Home 2 which is an application you install on your computer that interfaces between the device and the server. The other devices you refer to are referred to as Nav3 devices and require MyDrive, a web based application. The benefit of the Nav 2 devices are that the user has access to the file system and, thus, the various files on the device. The user has no access to the file system on the Nav3 devices. It is considered a plus to have the access to the device's file system so the Start 55 is better in this respect.

But the Start 55 is considered a basic model. However, being file accessible, the user can add a custom menu to add back some missing functionality. The Start 55 and the Via 1605 both have an attached mount. The 2535 has a magnetic mount which many prefer.

Also, see here for further comparisons and a downloadable spreadsheet of features prepared by mod, mvl.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/tomtom-model-feature-reference-updated-11-2-2011.21826/

3. All models you refer to come with a combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger (the 'T' in the model name). This provides lifetime traffic for highways and main roads anywhere you travel. No subscription needed. The coverage area is shown in this link:

http://www.totaltraffic.com/index.php/solutions/2013-04-02-15-39-16/coverageareas

All models you list have the lifetime maps (the 'M' in the model name). As such, I'm confident in saying maps will be available for years to come. For example, people with devices that are seven years old can still buy maps for the models, though lifetime maps aren't available for the older models.

Welcome to TTF.

1. All current TomTom models have a safety setting of 'warn when driving faster than allowed'. BUT none have a user setting for how much faster before the warning goes off; instead, it is built into the application that the warning goes off about 10% higher than the posted speed for the road the user is on. And, yes, there is a safety warning if travelling in a school zone.

2. The Start 55 is referred to as a Nav2 device and, as such, uses Home 2 which is an application you install on your computer that interfaces between the device and the server. The other devices you refer to are referred to as Nav3 devices and require MyDrive, a web based application. The benefit of the Nav 2 devices are that the user has access to the file system and, thus, the various files on the device. The user has no access to the file system on the Nav3 devices. It is considered a plus to have the access to the device's file system so the Start 55 is better in this respect.

But the Start 55 is considered a basic model. However, being file accessible, the user can add a custom menu to add back some missing functionality. The Start 55 and the Via 1605 both have an attached mount. The 2535 has a magnetic mount which many prefer.

Also, see here for further comparisons and a downloadable spreadsheet of features prepared by mod, mvl.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/tomtom-model-feature-reference-updated-11-2-2011.21826/

3. All models you refer to come with a combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger (the 'T' in the model name). This provides lifetime traffic for highways and main roads anywhere you travel. No subscription needed. The coverage area is shown in this link:

http://www.totaltraffic.com/index.php/solutions/2013-04-02-15-39-16/coverageareas

All models you list have the lifetime maps (the 'M' in the model name). As such, I'm confident in saying maps will be available for years to come. For example, people with devices that are seven years old can still buy maps for the models, though lifetime maps aren't available for the older models.

===
(Well, I am hoping this is the proper forum method to reply to your reply.)

Thank you, dhn, for getting back to me. I do appreciate your taking the time to prepare such a thorough respomse.

I do have three follow-up questions, if I'm not pushing my luck.

Question-1: A local store has a Start 50M. No "T". Can I just purchase the "combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger" separately for Traffic, or does the Model name need the "T" for Traffic to work?

Question-2: I do like the idea of being able to access the device file system. As I look at other models, what is the best way to determine if it is a Nav2 or Nav3?

Question-3: If I purchase a Start 55TM, where do I look for the ability to "add a custom menu to add back some missing functionality" that you referenced?

And thank you again for getting back to me.

JVi

Going back to your original question.... as standard the TomTom units will turn the speed limit section of the screen red when you go overspeed, and you can set it to give a "chime" sound as well.
(In safety preferences, select Warn when driving faster than allowed, or Warn when driving faster than a set speed, and you are asked which sound effect you want to use.

However, if you have some way of making one, you can add a sound file of your own to the NAV2 and NAV3 units and that can be used instead.
It needs to be in .wav or .ogg format and you add it to the "sounds" folder in NAV2 or add it using MyTomTom in NAV3). If you need any help with any of that, just ask.

Ask a Question