Speed Indicator for One SL ?

Hello everyOne ,

I have my unit for 24 hours and I like it .

Here is the version : App 8.010 OS : 190943 GPS : v1.21 Lancer 5.3013
Map : v715.1712

I read about the tripmaster that can give the speed , altough I am afraid to tweak
my new tool .

Is there a programm or a tweak that will add the actual speed without tripmaster ?

Also when you say backup your unit : do you mean simply copy all the files of the unit
to the pc , and if something goes wrong , I only have to copy those files back to the F ?
Is it so easy ?

There was a guy @ WM who purchases a Garmin 250 saying it is the top ....
I think I made the right choice , I get more with Tom...

Tom Tom home told me I should get an update , so I went for a 3 1/2 hours download ,
then the system told me there is no place to install the whole thing ...I read the post about
this issue , then decide to wait and see , since my unit works well right now .

Thanks for this forum .

Last edited:
Yes, use Explorer, not Home to make a complete backup of your unit. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. You have the latest application for your unit, I think (8.01) but your map is very old. The newest is 8.30, I think. you are entitled to get it via Home's-->Latest Map guarantee menu option. If it isn't offered to you, call support at 866-486-6866.

And welcome to TomTom forums!

Thanks Dhn ,

I checked with Home , the answer is I have to pay :D

I re-visited the long download and I see a folder ''map'' wiith a zip of 919,260 ko + a toc + a cab and 2 gifs .

Should I unzip it in the ''Usa_Canada'' unit's folder along the other cited files ?

Or should I don't take a chance and call the CS ?

I am a newbie at this, but If you bought your TomTom new you have a new map guarantee for 30 days after purchase or registration of the unit. Check your tools section I believe, and look for latest map guarantee. I had trouble downloading my update due to an extreemly slow internet connection at the motel I was staying at. When I got home I had to search for it, but I found the link and it worked just fine, took a long time though.

Thanks DrDave ,

finally followed your advice and succeeded the download ,

to find out I am missing 27 ko of space ....:mad:

In the meanwhile , my wife said I was breaking my head ....for nothing.

Went to WM , bought a 255W@228cad ....repacked the TT ....bye bye.

The screen is much much clearer , the unit has lest features ....but my wife
like it simple ....it works fine .....ok...........it does'n = out ....

Now manufacturers are asking why my product does not bring
the expected sales ????????????? TEST TEST TEST before putting your
products on the shelf ....

That said , TT One is a great product with an organisation lacking
the Buddha Ear .....simply listening to what Simple Customer wants = peace of mind .

Usability is key ONE feature :

SMITH BUSINESS - SPRING 2005

Could be my last contribution to this forum ......

Thanks for reading .

Yes, use Explorer, not Home to make a complete backup of your unit. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. You have the latest application for your unit, I think (8.01) but your map is very old. The newest is 8.30, I think. you are entitled to get it via Home's-->Latest Map guarantee menu option. If it isn't offered to you, call support at 866-486-6866.

And welcome to TomTom forums!

Correction : The newest map is 830 :p

And if you really want to be technical, latest version is 830.2284

finally followed your advice and succeeded the download , to find out I am missing 27 ko of space ....:mad:

Yes, Tomtom's had a problem with many of the ONE models, the latest USA/Canada map is a tad to big to fit on the 1GB of memory on the 2008 and earlier models. And the latest USA/Canada/Mexico map is a bit too big to fit on the 2GB of models on the 2009 140/340 models.

The May 830 map is the first time tomtom use anonymously submitted driving history to identify and add new roads, and their North American maps all got a LOT bigger.

Tomtom is aware of the problem and is trying to shrink their maps, and telling customers to hold off for a bit on installing them.

A workaround that seems to work for most users is to remove unused foreign-language voices to get the needed space.

In my experience Tomtom does a pretty good job of testing and launching pretty reliable devices, but then rushes to offer them new features/maps via HOME download that are often buggy.

With the latest map gaurantee you have to go through the process until it tells you there is not enough space. The reason for this being the HOME program has to see which map you have on your unit, and look for the map to replace it. When it tells you not enough space you have to remove the old map (ALWAYS back up first) and then it will finish downloading. Long yes but hey it's a free map and in my book anything free is great. Especially nowadays.

The map isn't too big for all units. It's fine for all of them except the new ones (the x40's). The only thing is is that on their GO units that come preinstalled with North America and Western Europe the 2 of those updated maps together IS too much. You need a memory card.

Map warranty updates

Hi,
I also had a "problem" getting the latest map update for my new purchase; but, I did get the latest.
"Home" told me when I logged into it that I was either beyond the 30-day period or did not purchase the update!
Well, I called TT and customer service I just needed to call support, open a trouble call, eMail/FAX a copy of my purchase receipt, and then call back for the maps.
When I called support the second time, post the sent eMail, support was very helpful in identifying the appropriate maps for my TT and gave me the code for "Home" to update my maps.
Took 6-hrs plus! but updated fine.
My TT had no space related issues.
Hope this helps, AMH

Last edited:
Thanks DrDave ,

finally followed your advice and succeeded the download ,

to find out I am missing 27 ko of space ....:mad:

In the meanwhile , my wife said I was breaking my head ....for nothing.

Went to WM , bought a 255W@228cad ....repacked the TT ....bye bye.

The screen is much much clearer , the unit has lest features ....but my wife
like it simple ....it works fine .....ok...........it does'n = out ....

Now manufacturers are asking why my product does not bring
the expected sales ????????????? TEST TEST TEST before putting your
products on the shelf ....

That said , TT One is a great product with an organisation lacking
the Buddha Ear .....simply listening to what Simple Customer wants = peace of mind .

Usability is key ONE feature :

SMITH BUSINESS - SPRING 2005

Could be my last contribution to this forum ......

Thanks for reading .

I have no problem with Garmin but you got the 255w because someone told you it was the "top"? Its a budget Garmin GPS, featureless and overpriced (in comparison) I almost feel bad for you. However I do agree you shouldnt have had any problems with your TT, running low on space is very very stupid problem and should have been tested better, however its an easy fix that you can do in 2 minutes.

Good thing with the Garmin is if you have the newest map now then you wont have to worry about space or updating it. I doubt the unit will last long enough to make NAVTEQ's extended map update times. I work with a guy that swears by Garmin but he's on his third, and I went through one before trying Tomtom. Hehe I agree the screens are little nicer and the "graphics" are a little better/smoother.

Ask a Question