Speed alert sound

Got a tomtom XL350 TM Updated it now safty alert icon is on. But can not get into it to set my safty alerts. Is thewre any software I can do it with? Thank you for your help

"Safety alerts" are the UK phrase that means "Speed traps" in American English.

On an XL 350, they are updated by running "Update my XL" in Tomtom HOME.

He doesnt want to update them he wants to set them. I dont think you can, there's just the option to turn them on or off which is really basic and lame.

almost right

I can enable the safty alert icon. But get no ovice warning only flashing red lower left beside the reguker speed limint. ttying to find out how to add voice alert to it

There is no voice alert. Just the visual you see. Some models allow for an audible alert as well, but no voice.

I would think that if you could find the WAV file that has the current sound you could replace it with your own WAV voice/sound file. Find it first then worry about making your own after.

So with the XL350 it's impossible to get any form of audible alert? WHY???

Didn't say that. Just no Voice alerts.

You can alter the sound alert for the built in categories. For safety cameras (which is a different kind of ov2 file in that it is NOT listed in the categories) all you can do is either 'enable' or 'disable' alerts.

So no way of setting an audible alert when you go over the speed limit for the road you are on? Because I cannot find a way to do this and my old device did it, you could set it to warn you when you were over by a certain amount.

Last edited:
Only what I posted in my previous post. That's my understanding.....

You need a full menu model for more options in that area.

here is what tomtom says

In the USA safty alerts are disabel because of the law. In thne UK they work. Now qustion is how can I get around it and enable in USA. Magelin has speed audio alert in the USA.

Would factory rest work and choice UK as my resedeance hmmmmmm.:D

Maybe we can find a answear. Thanks for all the input:)

In the USA safty alerts are disabel because of the law.
I think not. Might want to recheck your facts (along with your spelling!)

In any case, while I have a somewhat different model TomTom, my alerts from TomTom are installed and updated regularly. Like the rest of you, I'm stuck with the selection of sounds that TomTom provides, but I find that there are a couple that will get my attention every time.

Sorry About Spelling

I will call tomtom agean. Maybe the suport person gave me wrong info. Its good to hear safty alert works on some models. Any info on what models

rphpps : did you find a solution?
I have same problem

Like the rest of you, I'm stuck with the selection of sounds that TomTom provides...

Just spotted this....

What's to stop you adding your own sound effects (.ogg or .wav format) into the 'sounds' folder?
You can then select them for the different camera types (not speeds though)

Works on a NAV3 model too, if you upload the sound files to the "warning sounds" section of Add community content".

No problem with my 740, but that was originally written about Nav3, and I wasn't having any luck with my *.ogg files via Community Content at the time. Might well have been a bitrate problem of some sort or another.

I finally just grabbed the beep5.wav off my 740 and transplanted it to the GO1535. It was always one of my favorite 'attention getters' anyway.

Wonder if we all are talking about the same thing

What I miss is the warning sound when driving faster than max road speed.
This I think is forbidden nowhere. But on my XL2 it is missing.
When in your settings you opt for the warning over max speed the left task bar with both max and actual speed will colour red. In all my other devices you can also set a warning sound but not on XL2.

Why they have lefty this out is a complete mistery to me :rant:

Amazone, you are aware more than most here how newer models over the past years have reduced, not increased, functionality compared to previous models.

I think most of us have given up trying to figure out what indeed is going on in the minds of the Design team (the 'UX' division) at TomTom.

I would like to put a UXB under the UX team....

Ask a Question