How to restore speed camera alert?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1500
Hi,

My model is Via 1500 which has speed cam alert function. However, when I update my map, I accidentally delete it from the computer. Now "enable alerts" (under Services--speed cameras) --is greyed out. How can I restore this function?

Thank you.

Jason

Have you tried a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Are the other icons (Disable, etc.) active? If so, try Disable and then see if Enable becomes active.

Thank you for the quick reply. I just tried the drum reset, but still the same. Only "Alert settings" is active. All the other three functions (Enable alert, report speed camera, show report button) are greyed out and inactive. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Firstly, I'm not sure what you meant when you said "However, when I update my map, I accidentally delete it from the computer.", because on a VIA model, there is no way to store things like the camera data on your PC at all.
Can you give more details of what you think you did?

-------------

It sounds to me like you have not got any camera data installed on the TT.
I'm assuming you have got the "MyTomTom" support software installed on your computer? (If not, get it from the TomTom website here)

When you run that software an icon should appear in the PC tray next to the clock. Click on it and select "MyTomTom".
That should open a browser page using IE or Firefox etc. - whichever you normally use.
At the top right should be a green box headed "MyTomTom". Click on the green box and there should be an item called "Manage Content" (you may also need to log into your TomTom account).

Under "Manage content" there should be a section called "My Speed Cameras"
Click on the arrow to open that section and tell us what it says there.

I would expect to see
Speed Cameras Europe - 1 time update
You're not subscribed
Go to shop

https://webproxy.solaris.test.tomtom.com/en_gb/services/speed-cameras/

Yes, I do use "My TomTom" and "Manage Content" function to get the updates. There is a section called "My Speed Cameras" and there used to be one item under it, but I deleted it out of consideration that it takes some space out of my already congested GPS device. Now if I open this section, it says "You don't have our Speed Cameras service". If I click on the link "Get Speed Cameras" below it, It will tell me "Page not found".

Later, I do realize that speed camera is a very useful function and that's why I would like to know how to restore it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason

Thanks Jason, that makes it a lot clearer.

OK, I think the situation is this.

When you buy the device, it has some speed camera location data already loaded on it.
Obviously, if it has been sitting on a shelf in the shop for some time, those might be out of date, so in MyTomTom, they allow you to do a "One-time update" to get the most current version available.

After that, if you want to keep them up to date, you buy a subscription to the service.

If you delete them when you know there's no way to back them up, I'm afraid you have lost them.

My suggestions would be one of the following:
1. Ring TT customer services and explain what you have done, and ask if they would be kind enough to reassign them to your device (so you can do another "one-time" update").
I don't think they are under any obligation to do that though, so ask nicely!

2. Buy the subscription service from TomTom.

3. subscribe to one of the alternative speed camera warning systems, which use the normal POI proximity warning function on the TomTom.

Thanks Jason, that makes it a lot clearer.

OK, I think the situation is this.

When you buy the device, it has some speed camera location data already loaded on it.
Obviously, if it has been sitting on a shelf in the shop for some time, those might be out of date, so in MyTomTom, they allow you to do a "One-time update" to get the most current version available.

After that, if you want to keep them up to date, you buy a subscription to the service.

If you delete them when you know there's no way to back them up, I'm afraid you have lost them.

My suggestions would be one of the following:
1. Ring TT customer services and explain what you have done, and ask if they would be kind enough to reassign them to your device (so you can do another "one-time" update").
I don't think they are under any obligation to do that though, so ask nicely!

2. Buy the subscription service from TomTom.

3. subscribe to one of the alternative speed camera warning systems, which use the normal POI proximity warning function on the TomTom.

Thank you so much for the reply. I will try it out and see if they can be kind enough to restore it for me.

Ask a Question