Can't update or restore TomTom XL.

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL
I've been trying to update my TomTom XL using Home. Everything fails. I made a backup on my PC already. I even read on the forums about making an explorer manual backup which is fine. But whenever I try to update it fails. I deleted the maps on my device and tried to extract the downloaded maps to the device, but it fails. Then I tried to restore from the backup and it fails. What is wrong with this device?

Item 1 ... WHAT are you trying to update when the error occurs? Firmware? Map? Mapshare? QuickGPSFix? Other?

Item 2 ... WHAT is failing? What is Home reporting to you when you attempt to update? Lack of memory? Other?

Thank heavens you did a full Explorer update before you deleted your maps. One way or another, we should be able to get you up and running again.

Before canderson carries on with the diagnostics, what happens if you copy everything back to the device, open Home and then select Operate my XL.

Any time a message pops up, write it down so that you can tell canderson exactly what happened step-by-step.

Item 1 ... WHAT are you trying to update when the error occurs? Firmware? Map? Mapshare? QuickGPSFix? Other?

Item 2 ... WHAT is failing? What is Home reporting to you when you attempt to update? Lack of memory? Other?

Thank heavens you did a full Explorer update before you deleted your maps. One way or another, we should be able to get you up and running again.

1) The only available updates for my XL right now are the map and voice.
2) I can't remember what it said before.. I think it said 'Failed to copy cline.dat to E:\TomTom' or something along those lines.

The first time I tried, it said it failed to create a backup. I tried again and the backup seemed fine. 2nd time, I got the failed to copy cline.dat message and all subsequent updates said failed due to the previous issue.

I read a post about needing to empty my trashcan and I did. Tried again and still same error. I read another post saying to do a manual backup and extract the downloaded updates over to my device, but it says...

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

cline.dat
Type: VCD file
Size: 455 MB
Date Modified: 7/20/2012 1:03 PM

I thought it had overwrite problems so I deleted cline.dat off the device and tried to extract the updated cline.dat to the device and it still gives me the same error. Right now, I have no maps. I tried to do a restore from backup, but it says 'task failed to start.' I tried to update again and got a QuickGPS Fix update which actually worked.

1) Need to know if you are purchasing an entire map, or just receiving the usual Mapshare update

From the 'trashcan' comment, I would assume you are using a Mac to accomplish this (it only matters on Macs)? Yet you say you used Explorer to back up. No matter.

Here's hoping your map backup is good. We're going to need it. Be SURE you have that backup where you can find it!
If at any point, things do not go as described, or other errors appear, stop and let us know.

Connect your unit. Home will fire up.
Minimize Home (don't shut it down).
Looking at your device as though it were a hard drive under My Computer, format it, using FAT32 format, and not a Quick format.
Restore your view of Home, and using Home, properly disconnect your device with the arrow in the lower right corner of the Home screen, or with the pull-down "Device" tab in the top left of the Home screen.
The unit will likely make some complaints, but let's ignore those for now.
Power down your unit and power it up again while it is connected to your PC.
Home will again discover your unit. It should offer to supply you with the unit firmware (aka Application) which is missing -- obvious, since you just formatted the unit!
... Do NOT accept any other updates at this time -- only the application firmware (ignore QuickGPSFix, etc.)
Allow Home to download and install the the application on your unit.

Properly disconnect your device with the arrow in the lower right corner, or with the pull-down "Device" in the top left of the Home screen.
Power down your unit and power it up again while it is connected to your PC.
Home MAY decide it wishes to update your application even further. If so, as before, accept only that update.
Allow Home to download and install the the application on your unit.

Repeat the above 4 steps until Home ceases to offer any additional application updates.

Minimize Home, and locate the backup you made of your unit. Find the North American map folder (it's the one that contains the cline.dat file you mentioned earlier).
Copy this folder to the root directory of your TomTom.
Properly disconnect your device with the arrow in the lower right corner, or with the pull-down "Device" in the top left of the Home screen.
Power off your unit.

Physically disconnect your unit from your PC and turn it on. What do you see?

hi I have done all of that and it get to 5sec left to copy and everything stopsi have the tomtom xl I have been doing this for 4 days now.

What is being 'copied' when this occurs? What step are you on? Copying the backup of your map folder back to the root of your 330S?

I was trying to update my maps and had to format my TT and that was a chore it took me 2 days to format and can only format it in quick had to use a low level format to be able to do that I followed your instructions in earlier post here and copied the Canada_usa map folder to the root of my TT because when I try the TT home to load my maps on my TT it gives me error of cline.dat and have been stuck on the 5 second of copying now for over 1 hr

now it keeps asking me to do a scan for bad sectors and fix sys files on my TT

I have tried everything but it will not let me do a full format if I try it tells me I don't have permission I used WinRAR to test the map in a test zip and the cline.dat is fine but when it tries to put it on my TT that is when I get the error. I really need the help thanks

First, why did you 'have to' format your unit???

Don't have permission? What OS are you using?

Let's start with cable and port. Are you using the original TomTom cable? Are you using a primary USB port (perhaps on the rear of your PC)?

First, why did you 'have to' format your unit???

Don't have permission? What OS are you using?

Let's start with cable and port. Are you using the original TomTom cable? Are you using a primary USB port (perhaps on the rear of your PC)?
I have win7 and yes the cable that came with the TT and have used the ports in back and front

I have win7 and yes the cable that came with the TT and have used the ports in back and front
i had to format my TT because i plugged it into computer to charge it and home said i needed to update so i said yes and that is when it all went wrong

i had to format my TT because i plugged it into computer to charge it and home said i needed to update so i said yes and that is when it all went wrong
the funny thing is i can install the app and voices even the gpsfix but not the maps

I still do not understand the reason for the reformatting. What went 'wrong'?

If you've got all of that loaded and working, it sounds like you have a good connection and are properly communicating with the unit from your PC. I wonder if it's just a function of not having enough available space on the unit. Using Windows, check to see how much space remains on the unit, and how big the folder is that contains your backup map data. Could be we'll need to remove an extra voice or other to make some room for you.

Ask a Question