Re TT Go720 Speed Alerts

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One V2
My mate has a TT Go720 with a speed alert problem.

He has his GPS speed alert to set at 109 km/h for a 110 km/h zone which is the max. Hwy speed in our State here in Australia. Now if he is traveling in an 80 km/h zone and the road speed changes to 100 km/h when he enters that zone the speed alert goes off it's rocker telling him he is speeding.

The GPS doesn't seem to be able to differentiate between the zones when they change along the Hwy or other roads.

He has just downloaded the latest map for Australia so his GPS is up to date in that regard.

I am not familiar with the Go720 as I have a TT One 2nd Edition, so can anybody give me some idea as to what the problem could be and how to rectify it?

Thanks.

If he has a setting "Warn when going faster than allowed" and it goes off as if the speed were 80 kph instead of 100kph, then that is likely due to faulty mapping data which doesn't recognize the change is road speed at a specific point.

You can test that by doing a route demo that passes the location where the speed switches. Look at the status bar in the demo if it still shows the car going 80 or 100.

He has his GPS speed alert to set at 109 km/h for a 110 km/h zone

Now if he is traveling in an 80 km/h zone and the road speed changes to 100 km/h when he enters that zone the speed alert goes off it's rocker telling him he is speeding.

There are two seperate things at work here...
The first is that you can set a warning for if you are driving above a set speed. That's fixed at a single speed under any situation.

The second is that you can set a warning for if you are 'driving faster than allowed'

They are both set up in "Safety Preferences", and with the first you set the desired speed yourself, but the second depends on the speed limit data embedded in the map, which can be wrong!

Another way to see that at work (and to see if it is wrong) is if you set the status bar up to show what it thinks is the speed limit beside your actual speed.
You do that in Status bar preferences - "Show max speed next to speed".

Ask a Question