Skip setting Home location

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1005 Europe
It was just a simple query.

I've just bought a Tomtom Live 1005 having had Garmins for years.

On switching on it asks for my Home location but there is no "skip" button. I don't want to set Home and never had to on my Garmin. So I thought I would ask Tomtom help for advice.

I duly sent an email asking how to skip the Home location setting step and received after 48 hours a nonsense response which bears no reference to my question..

Quote " Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Care.

My name is Adela and we are always happy to help.

You had recently contacted our Support.

I understand that you have an issue while starting the device.
1. Make sure that the battery is charged properly by charging the device for at least 2 hours before trying to turn it on. ... Plus 7 more points about rebooting the device etc , obviously pasted in as its in a different font ..... Edited out by me.

Kindly let me know if you were able to successfully resolve your issue or not.

If you have any further query in future then, please do not hesitate to write us or contact us on 0845 161 0009 Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. UTC and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for your valuable time and giving me an opportunity to assist you". End quote.

They obviously have not read my question at all. This does not auger well if I actually have a problem with the unit. Are Tomtom support usually this bad?

Looking like trying Tomtom might be a bad decision.....

Don't you love it when Customer Support answers a question you didn't ask?? :rolleyes:

Anyway, no you cannot avoid that step. BUT..............

There is no reason to put your true Home location in the device. Many people select an address some streets away from their true location. Close enough such that routing to a destination will be reasonably accurate when starting from 'Home' but far enough away such that, if the unit ever got stolen, a thief would NOT have an indication of where 'Home' really was.

One poster I know set his 'Home' location to the nearest Police Station! :)

@GasEngineer
I'd LOVE to have the entire text of your original email and the reply you received to pass along to someone at TT if possible.

FWIW, on previous platform devices (TomTom changed their OS and firmware a short while back), you could skip the marking of a Home location. Don't know why they force it now -- they didn't do that on the older versions.

Ask a Question