size of status bar...

Can I change the actual size of vertical or horizontal status bar?

I know I can change to vertical or horizontal display, but the status bar makes the map actually "small". I had Garmin 650 and it had a horizontal display, but the bottom center portion was not affected by its status bar, and therefore did not make the map "small".

Any suggestions on TomTom 920?

Thanks!!!

Hi there. I don't believe it's possible to change the size of the status bar. However, it does appear to change quite a bit by choosing more or less options to appear in the status bar.

I'd rather have a smaller map than a small Status Bar, its Guidance Arrow is the single most important navigation feature in a TomTom - better than Voice Guidance, TTS, Map - because it's never late.

I don't know of any way to change it either.... but that doesn't mean it can't be done! I would also like more room for the map at times. I'm guessing there might be a lot of things like this that can be hacked but it will take a little experimentation.

The TomTom runs a small version of Linux, but when you connect it to your computer the normal way you can't access that filesystem. When you boot the TomTom it loads a compressed version of the Linux filesystem, it decompresses it, then it changes the root directory to that filesystem.

There's a hack to get into this using a terminal via bluetooth but I haven't been able to get it working yet. But it's also possible to put linux shell commands into a script and have them executed after the GPS boots. So, at least theoretically, you could copy your own custom configuration files to things like screen layout into the linux filesystem after boot time.

Maybe someone else has tried this, but I haven't found any examples yet....

Ask a Question