Opening Up Rider Unit - screw sizes

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Rider & XL 350
I need to open up my Rider V1 to replace the battery. Does anyone know the sizes of the screws on the back that need to be removed? I believe they are security hex screws, which have a pin in the middle of them. If that is incorrect, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Double check to make sure their not just Torx heads. If they're the security type, any of the bit kits that include these will have the appropriate size (can you borrow one for an hour or two? If not .. well, I'm up in Boulder County...)

Thanks very much for the info. I'm quite sure they are of some type of security head, but I'm not sure of the size. I see many sets on line, but I don't know if the sets have keys that are small enough.

Thanks again.

Funny... I'm sure I posted last night to (also) suggest that they are more likely to be Torx-head screws. (most likely either T5 or T6)

I've never taken apart a Rider, but IIRC, all the other TomToms that have been through my hands have used Torx.

Thanks for all the good suggestions, everyone. I'll head down to Harbor Freight to see what they have.

And yes, they are a security head, as the fellow in the YouTube video says.

And Andy_P I hope they are not as small as T5 pr T6, since the smallest Torx bit in the Harbor Freight set is T8.

Several folks have posted on line here and elsewhere that by far the hardest part of changing the batter is finding the correct tools.

And Andy_P I hope they are not as small as T5 pr T6, since the smallest Torx bit in the Harbor Freight set is T8.

Screws in my XL LIVE IQ are Torx T6
Screws in my Go1005 are smaller Torx than that, so I assume T5 (but my driver that fits has no marking on it)

Look for "prescision" sets or sets advertised for mobile phones or games consoles as they will be more suitable than "general" sets.

Just because I have never seen them does not meat they do not exists.
I have only ever seen and used centre pin type internal hex screws to otherwise regular Allen screw dimensions.
I tend to agree that these are regular Torx screws.

@aerotech,

Why don't you post a 'blow up' picture of the screw head in question and someone will identify it with reasonable certainty.

Success!

Well, I have the answer everyone!

Went to the local Harbor Freight Store and found ONE SECURITY-BIT SET that had the correct driver. (Had to buy a set of 32 though. I purchased the Warrior 3" Long Reach Security Bit Set for $10. The long bits are nice because 2 of the 4 screw-access holes are rather deep.

The mystery tool is a 2mm security hex driver. Not star, not torx, etc. This tool is needed to remove 4 of the 6 screws in the case. As noted in the YouTube video on this thread, there are also two smaller (T6) torx screws under the plugs near the door. But I had that tool already.

The new cylindrical lithium-ion battery is in and charging.

Thanks again guys for all the good suggestions. :)

Had a look at their web site and am surprised to see such small security hex, as well as Torx bits.

Thanks for posting.

At $5.99, I couldn't turn it down when I spotted it a couple of weeks ago. Not the toughest stuff, I'm sure, but just fine for the rare instances where I need one.

Thanks for the info on opening up the Rider V1 and the ID of the screws to undo on the back panel.Have been trawling the internet for days to find out this info and finding this forum today I have been out to my local Maplins store here in the UK and successfully bought a security multi-bit set and screwdriver for just under a tenner and do concur with aerotech,it is a 2mm security Hex bit.Thanks again for the info.

Ask a Question