Search within entire Province/State/Region?

Ok, this is one of my BIGGEST issues with all TomTom units...

When choosing a destination on a Garmin unit, you choose the Province (or state/region), then it asks the City and then the Address. If you don't know the city, you can choose "Search All" and it will search for matches within all cities in that province. If you don't know the province, you can choose "Search All" and it will search all places in the country for matches.

With the TomTom, you MUST know the city and province, otherwise it cannot search. This would all be fine if TomTom mapping was up to date. For instance, Toronto now includes former cities such as North York, Scarborough, etc., but TomTom insists on using the old city names. Thus, if you search for a location that is now in Toronto (but was formerly in Scarborough) and you choose Toronto as the city, it will NOT find it.

Anyone have any comments, ideas, workarounds on this issue?

This has been an issue for years with TomTom, why don't they browse these forums? If they did, they could implement a simple fix and then tap into a much broader selling market...

I know that the 'Toronto issue' used to be a problem, but it has been solved with the maps I am currently using, v6.75. I can enter an address anywhere in the new amalgamted city and find the address under 'Toronto'. The data base also has the address if you search under the old name like 'Scarborough'. So addresses seem to be double listed.

I'm curious to know what your map version is.

And I agree that the Garmin search system is more efficient, because this problem does exist elsewhere.

This has been an issue for years with TomTom, why don't they browse these forums? If they did, they could implement a simple fix and then tap into a much broader selling market...
The problem is not quite as simple as reading the boards. There are copyrights and patents involved. If you look right now, Garmin has so many lawsuits against tomtom ranging all the way to routing (funny haha). So yes in a perfect world, you would take all the best features out of different softwares and make that one perfect software but then what are all the lawyers going to do:D

I agree with the original poster. My version of the map is 705; yet, I too have to start with North York as a city in order to find a street residing there. Selecting 'Toronto' doesn't cut it.

v7 lets you search within a state first instead of the whole continent. I call that a step up. I know you guys are having trouble with finding addresses but I find the search within a state, then city very convenient.

I have the same maps as dhn, v7.05.1481 and I confirmed today that I do have to enter the "old" city names...

billybob, this has nothing to do with copyrights and patents - this is a simple matter of TomTom's ignorance in designing their software.

v7 lets you search within a state first instead of the whole continent.

This appears to be good news. So my question is this:

Is the ability to search by state a function of the new Navcore7 application software or of the v7 map? Do you have to have both?

I'm asking this because I'm still using v6.560 application software. If I upgrade to NavCore 7, will I get this search feature. Or will I need the v7 maps too?

Hey jimbo, I have tried map675 on 720 due to better poi database and the state search feature is not available so it has to do with v7 maps. I don't think you can use v7 maps with older navcores.

Afeudale, I hope you are right about the "ignorance in designing" observation, that way atleast we still have hope :D But you will be surprised at the patents and how they work in these cases.

I have confirmed on a TomTom One with v650 maps that the city search problem (in Toronto) does not exist. It seems that v7 maps went backwards...

Anyone have ideas on a workaround for this?

Ask a Question