"Search for POI" doesn't work

After upgrading from 8.01 to 8.3, I noticed the "Search for POI" command doesn't work: it just returns "no POI found". I didn't do any driving with 8.3, so I don't know if there were other issues.

Support had me do these, none of which worked: reset; factory default reset; downloaded and installed the map (710.1576);downloaded and installed App 7.xxx (original app); downloaded and installed 8.3 again; and in between, cleared flash a number of times.

Eventually, I realized it had worked before 8.3, so I did a restore with Home to go back to 8.01, and presto! "Search for POI" works again.

Has anyone else had this problem, and know how to fix it?

Last edited:
After upgrading from 8.01 to 8.3, I noticed the "Search for POI" command doesn't work: it just returns "no POI found". I didn't do any driving with 8.3, so I don't know if there were other issues.

Support had me do these, none of which worked: reset; factory default reset; downloaded and installed the map (710.1576);downloaded and installed App 7.xxx (original app); downloaded and installed 8.3 again; and in between, cleared flash a number of times.

Eventually, I realized it had worked before 8.3, so I did a restore with Home to go back to 8.01, and presto! "Search for POI" works again.

Has anyone else had this problem, and know how to fix it?

Known problem, TT knows about it, planning to fix. See my post...

here (click on the little orange icon above this line)

You might be able to temporarily resolve this by reinstalling your map.

TomTom Support has not been advised as to the release date of the permanent fix.

Hi cputrdoc,

I searched for the problem before posting, unsuccessfully obviously. Reloading the map didn't help me, but restoring to my backup made just before installing 8.3 did fix it. I can now load GPS Fix and Mapshare updates and "Search for POI" continues to work; but, I've since discovered it breaks again if I update my Fuel prices subscription.

The new Fuel Price files now include FuelStationsEU.OV2 files, leading me to suspect they cause a problem when Search looks in European POI's; however, renaming the files did not fix Search, nor did using Home to remove the Fuel Price update.

I downloaded the very latest Home, but that made no difference.

I'm downloading a later map (720xxx) to see if it makes difference, but I'm guessing not. I think it's related to the Fuel Price files, not the basic map.

Support did not mention others were having the problem, and appeared to be applying generic fixes; ie, just reload stuff until it works.

I installed the new 720xx map, including the Fuel Prices, and "Search for POI" works properly now. The FuelStationsEU.OV2 files are NOT in this new update of the Fuel Prices, confirming my guess that they were related to the "Search for POI" failure. I'll try to confirm that with support tomorrow.

I'm still using app 8.01, and will continue to do so until I need to do some real traveling, or want to upgrade to an 8xxx map (not likely until the price falls to $50).

They ARE on sale now, you know. Not 50 bucks but $79.99 US compared to $109.99 pre-sale. (This is for NA 8.15)

"cheap maps" - not

I got the email, too, and I'm not impressed. I never paid more than $50 for TT maps when I was using a PDA and Navigator, and now that I'm helping them correct the maps (probably 100+ changes submitted via Mapshare in the last year) I don't expect to pay double for them.

As I told them in a message from my TT account, if I can't get a North America map for $50, I'll skip a year and use the savings ($160 to $220 from not buying maps for two years) to buy a new unit WITH a new map! I will give high marks to whatever company is selling maps at the lowest cost, so it won't be a Tom
Tom that I buy if their map prices aren't more competitive by then.

I installed the new 720xx map, including the Fuel Prices, and "Search for POI" works properly now. The FuelStationsEU.OV2 files are NOT in this new update of the Fuel Prices, confirming my guess that they were related to the "Search for POI" failure. I'll try to confirm that with support tomorrow.

I'm still using app 8.01, and will continue to do so until I need to do some real traveling, or want to upgrade to an 8xxx map (not likely until the price falls to $50).

Thanks for the data point. I also noticed that things were fine until I installed the fuel price service. Doesn't seem like they ought to be related, so I thought it was just me. Now that you're seeing the same thing, obviously there's something material here. :-/

Don't bother with new maps, but Support may give you a credit for the period you're unable to use fuel prices (I saw them do something similar with map downloads recently) at least until the firmware or fuel price service is fixed.

Ask a Question