SD card size on Go 730

I have just bought a Go 730 in Australia and was told by TomTom that the largest SD card I can use is 2GB, however I have seen several posts saying they are using much bigger cards, what size can I use?
Also, should the 730 be able to announce street names in the navigation mode as mine will not let me select it in Preferences.

You can use a 32 gig sdhc card in a 730 with the latest application.

Do you have a computer voices selected under Voice preferences? If so, also make sure that you have 'speak aloud street names' checked

SD 4GB Class 6 and 730

I just bought a 730 and after reading this excellent forum I went and purchased a 4 GB class 6 memory card. The problem I have is that neither hte 730 nor HOME recognizes the card. This is what I have done so far...
1) Formatted the card with FAT32 on my Windows XP llaptop.
2) Copied Map folder to Card using Explorer, I also copied the North America 2G maps (they were separate folders, not sure why)
3) made a backup of all the files in the 730 with Explorer.
4) deleted the Maps and the North America 2G folders from the 730 using Explorer
5) Disconected 730 and removed 4 GB card from PC.
6) installed card on 730 Unit.
7) Notice no apparent changes in booting (it took 30 secionds more) but no maps were found.
8) reconnected 730 to HOME
9) notice no "extra" memory on the 730 under the HOME button "Manage My Device" and internal memory was nearly empty.

Card has the4 Map and North America 2G Folder. I am using version 8.351 and North America 2G v845.2645

I also hard reseted the 730 with card in it but no impreovement... HELP!!!

What am I missing or doing wrong? Does the exteranl card (F:/ drive) have to have a particular name to be recognized by the 730?

I also do not have any "spoken address" feature functioning. They are greyed out. I do have the CSpeech files in the North America 2G folder in the external card (and they were also in the internal before I bought my card)

Did you copy the NA map folder completely to the 4-gig sdhc card? What happens or doesn't happen when you boot up the unit? What map is 'active' if any? When you go to Change Preferences-->Manage Maps is the NA map listed? Can you select it if it is?

Can the contents of the sdhc card be read by Explorer when you connect the unit to the computer?

Well, I suspected that my Class 6 card was not behaving correctly and I went and bought a second 4GB card but this time I chose a Class 2 (ScanDisk). Now both the HOME and the 730 recognizes the card and I was able to move the NA folder to the card. That seems to be working.

I still have problems with the Speech. I have moved all the speech files to the LOQUENDO TTS folder but still not working. Do I need to enable this fucntion in any setup preferences screen?

Thanks

The Loquendo folder is on the internal memory. I have all the scspeech files under this folder and there is a also a BIn, Data and Lib folder under the Loquendo folder. Inside the Data I have Languages and Vocies folderes. Do I need any other files?

Thanks

Ignore the Cspeech files as they are for voice recognition and have nothing to do with the Text To Speech system.

In the root of the folder "LoquendoTTS" should be the following FOLDERS:

bin
data
EnglishGb
EnglishTE
lib

Also there should be the following FILES:

default.session
default7.session
EnglishGb6.9.lde
EnglishTE6.9.lde
Kate.vde
LicenseCode.txt
LicenseCode7.txt
ttsmp120.ogg

NOTE the TomTom is case sensitive so make sure the files/ folders are spelt correctly with upper/ lower case letters as above, you might also find on your device you have either 6.9 OR 7 as my unit has been loaded with a couple of different versions of TTS over the years - Mike

Thank you for your help. I checked on these files. I had most of them in but not exactly in the folders you gave me. In fact, all these files were under the NA-2GB folder. However, I ended up rclearing the on the 730's memory and now I got it to work correctlly.

Now if I can only get the FM to work right?? :). Hopefully this also will work when I get int omy car later today.

Thank you for all your help.... This is a great Forum. I learned a lot from this website when I first bought my 910 in 2007... Unfortunately, my 910 broke and I cannot get parts for it.

The most I missed on the 910 is the remote control.. The 730 does not have one... :mad:

I think that you can still get a remote control for the 730. I don't have one and I have heard that it eats through batteries like mad.

Now if I can only get the FM to work right?? :). Hopefully this also will work when I get int omy car later today.
Um... I hope you were only planning to run music via the FM modulator and not navigational information, or we've got another whole discussion ahead of us.

Silent mp3 track set to repeat is the easy option for Nav voice with no music if running the 8,35 or newer - Mike

Silent mp3 track set to repeat is the easy option for Nav voice with no music if running the 8,35 or newer - Mike
Yup - that would be the "whole other discussion". As it is likely to come up, do you recall the entire thread with the "quiet" file attachment? Haven't seen that in a long time.

One other "trick" I used to use was this one:

Try the following then, enable the Nav voice and Music to output via the FM Tx, once its all playing go back to the mp3 player control screen and pause the music, nothing but silence except when a navigation direction is read out - I guess this little loop hole will soon be closed off with another update?

That certainly worked with 8,35 on a 720 although I have a funny feeling this loop hole got closed down with the rather rapidly released 8,351 (perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut about this work around!)

When I locate a download link for a silent mp3 track I will add it to this thread, although you can make your own using Audacity which can be downloaded for free from Here - Mike

Try the following then, enable the Nav voice and Music to output via the FM Tx, once its all playing go back to the mp3 player control screen and pause the music, nothing but silence except when a navigation direction is read out - I guess this little loop hole will soon be closed off with another update?

That certainly worked with 8,35 on a 720 although I have a funny feeling this loop hole got closed down with the rather rapidly released 8,351 (perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut about this work around!)

On 8.351 it works for about 30 seconds. After that navigation voice reverts to internal speakers.

My car is quiet enough that I'm happy with voice from the device and music over FM. The Tomtom pauses the music while it speaks the directions, so I can easily hear them.

Because FM voices was the only valuable feature of 8.351, I use the more stable 8.302 instead.

Ask a Question