What size SDHC card for Tom Tom 730T?

I'm getting not so concrete answers from Tom Tom support about exactly how big of a SDHC card my 730T will support.

First the girl said it won't take SDHC cards - then she said it would but only 4gb - when I pressed her about 8gb, 16gb or 32gb SDHC cards she did say it could "accept" an 8gb SDHC but it may be problematic. Not exactly reassuring tech support answers.

Can anyone using a 8gb, 16gb or 32gb SDHC card with a Tom Tom comment before I order one?

Bill

Before firmware 8.3, there were issues with sdhc cards greater than 4 gigs. With firmware 8.3, any sized sdhc card will work without issues.

Another example of TT Support being wrong ...............again :(

I know another user was using the 730 with a 16GByte SDHC card just fine (see post #13 )

I can also vouch for using an 8GByte, class 6, Transcend SDHC card in my 920.

I am using TomTom Application version 8.010 and the v810.1907 maps

The SDHC card did not work correctly as it was formatted from the factory.

I had to fiddle with the card initially to get it to work with the 8.010 application...I followed this procedure (note: you'll need an SDHC reader in addition to your TomTom):
1) Turn your TomTom off
2) Plug the SDHC card into the TomTom
3) Plug the TomTom into your computer
4) Turn on the TomTom
5) When prompted if you want to connect to the computer, select YES
6) If TomTom HOME opens, close it
7) Run Windows Explorer to browse your TomTom and the internal memory card
8) Find the drive associated with your SDHC card within Windows Explorer
9) Right click on the drive and a menu will pop up
10) Select FORMAT
11) In the window that pops up, I believe the maximum it will allow at this time is 4GB....that is OK for now...keep that at the maximum it allows.....
12) Select FAT32
13) Click START
14) Once the format has completed, safely disconnect your TomTom from the PC
15) Now you need to reformat the card using the PC and a card reader
16) Follow the same procedure as above except use your SDHC card reader and select the 8Gb or 16GB or whatever size your card is for step #11 above
17) After formatting, use your SDHC reader to copy the files over to the TomTom.

Once you've done that, the TomTom should recognize your files and the card should work fine. I even have no issue with using the TomTom as a reader/writer now.....I copy files to and from the card inside the TomTom all the time and windows sees it as being formatted as 8GByte.

Ask a Question