Screen Flickers on GO 730

Hi I have a Tom Tom GO 730 GPS receiver and havent used it for a while, say 3 weeks or more, its been loclked away in the cupboard. Anyhow today I went to use it, turn it ON and the screen comes on but is dull/dim and flickers. It did manage to get brioght after I took it from a cold room into a heated room and worked fine but say after 15 mins from the warm roon back into the car (which was cold due to winter season) it was dull and flickering again.

Any suggestions pls or what might cause this.

Has it got anything to do with the built in batt not being charged for a long time ?

Thanks

How cold does it get where you are at this time of year? Could be an issue since any battery looses much of its 'oomph' when it is cold.

Best to keep the unit at room temp when not connected and charging with the cig lighter. Also, be careful when warming up the unit from cold to warm (room temp). Condensation could be an issue......

Anyway, give the unit a good couple of hours charge connected to the pc via the 730's usb base. See if that helps.

How cold does it get where you are at this time of year? Could be an issue since any battery looses much of its 'oomph' when it is cold.

Best to keep the unit at room temp when not connected and charging with the cig lighter. Also, be careful when warming up the unit from cold to warm (room temp). Condensation could be an issue......

Anyway, give the unit a good couple of hours charge connected to the pc via the 730's usb base. See if that helps.

I am in Perth Australia and it could drop from 5 degs Celc so cold indeed
Also like I said I hadnt charghed it for 3 weeks prob 4 as I hardly used it, but also to ask when I connected it to my car and turned it ON it still was dim and flickering, really wouldnt the car power it up regardless if batt was flat or not.

I was aware of your country (powers of a moderator! :D ) but still didn't know how cold it got where you were specifically.

Yeah, supposedly the car charger should work but if a combination of: the unit not being charged for a few weeks, being in a cold place, perhaps not holding a charge due to its age (my almost 3 yr old 720 holds a charge for no more than 10 minutes now) could all lead to the battery being so flat that even the power of the car charger may not be enough...........

Can you get an AC adapter and plug the unit into your house current for some hours (while the unit is off) and see if that helps.

Or, if you are adventurous, here's a link to a tomtom battery supplier in Oz and a link to how to replace the battery in your unit is here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...730-920-930-battery-replacement-tutorial.html

While I haven't yet seen it on a Tomtom, I've seen the LCD sort of "freeze" on really cold days on my Honda touchscreen factory GPS. Screen was very dim and took a long time to change (remember how old laptops used to fade in changes in the screen?)

So it could be the LCD, not just the battery.

Also, for safety of the battery, the GO 730 is programmed not to charge when the temp is below 0 C.

If the device reliably works once it warms up to room temperature, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Ask a Question