XXL 550 screen flickers after update

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 550
I recently purchased an XXL 550. Upon first turning it on it worked great. Then I did its first update and now the screen flickers like it cannot figure out how to align the picture. Not all the time, but when ever it is connected to the computer it flickers. It actually did it the other day when we turned it on away from the computer as well, but resolved after restarting. I wouldn't be too concerned about this as the unit still works great when we want to use it on the road. But since it is new I kind of expect everything to work well on it. Any advice?

What was updated? The map, the firmware, or both?

Are you saying it flickers only when connected to the computer? When you say "the other day", was this before or after your update?

Please identify the code level on your device. I don't recall the 550 method exactly (I think this is an EasyMenu unit), but using your PC and favorite text editor, you can read the content of the ttgo.bif file that's in the root of your unit. About 8 lines down, you will see "ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=". What number follows that?

I used the TomTom Home program and let it update everything that needed updating which included both firmware and map. The other day was post update. The device screen reads:

TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition
Device AK3HU A2A8E
App 9.161.576155.2, OS 567329
(5007, 9/16/2010)
64 MB Ram (free:17.1 MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5279
Map: 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v880.3862
Language English US

The app verson number in the file you mentioned is 9161
And here is some additional info:

DeviceName=TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XXL IQ Routes
DeviceSerialNumber=GL22xxxxxxxx
DeviceUniqueID=AKxxx xxxxx
RamDiskVersion=20100916
BootLoaderVersion=55279
LinuxVersion=567329
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9161
ApplicationVersion=576155.2
UserLanguage=English US

GPSFirmwareVersion=2.15.0 65947

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - 9.161 would be a correct firmware level. Just wanted to be sure that Home hadn't loaded something off the way. Doesn't happen very often, but it has happened.

Just for grins, reboot the thing. Our configurator indicates that this model has a 'pin' style reset - kind of surprised me, but hey. Look along the bottom edge of the unit for a small hole and the word "Reset" next to it on the label. If you find that, take a paperclip and gently depress the push button switch inside for a couple of seconds. Let us know if that improves things.

If you don't spot that reset hole, hold down the power button for 20 seconds until you hear a drum beat - to accomplish the same sort of thing.

Do please let us know if it has a reset hole or whether you reset using the 20 seconds on the power button.
It seems odd for a recent model like that to have gone back to the old reset method, so maybe the chart is wrong.
The TT website is no help either. They have a "definitive reset method" page (US- http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7134/kw/reset/sno/1 or UK - http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965)
... but neither of them mention the XL550

However, all the other XXL models use the power switch.

Last edited:
No reset hole, but after holding the power button down for about 6 seconds it did an odd little drum noise and went to an info screen that looked like it was trying to display a bunch of technical specs but it was bouncing around so bad I couldn't really read it. It stayed on that screen until I turned it off and then when I turned it back on again went to the normal splash screen and then looked like it did a fresh reboot, but still the screen bounces around and flickers. After turning it off and back on a third time it goes to the regular navigation screen and works fine, but as soon as I connect it to the computer the bouncing and flashing is back.

Just for grins I also tried holding the power button down for the full 20 seconds but it didn't do anything other than what it had already done.

You don't need to hold it down until the diag screen comes up. That should take even longer than 20 seconds. Just hold it down until you hear the drums, then let up on it.

Can you describe in any additional detail what the screen is doing? You were pretty clear the first time - it appeared to you as though there was a sync problem on an old CRT - but if you can assist with better detail, we could think on it for a while. No special reason why computer connections should be a problem for how the screen behaves unless you have a VERY powerful RF source around the room somewhere, but I suspect you'd have much bigger problems with your electronics gear if that were the case.

The screen works fine except for when the unit is in computer connection mode, and apparently upon a fresh reset. When in this mode, the image shows on the screen but with a semi-randomly oscillating horizontal break which fluctuates in its position. Under this break the top of the image tries to wrap around or repeat itself on the bottom of the screen. This has the effect of squishing the image above the break, but appears in a rapidly fluctuating manner thus it looks like the screen is flickering. Sorry if that sounded confusing. I took a short video of the problem but it seems I cannot post it here.

No need for video - you did a really good job of explaining it this time. It's as though you have a 'vertical sync' issue.

I'd swear we have heard this problem before, but it was two or more years ago. I'm hoping one of the other mods can recall it. It seemed to me that it was related to a unit accidentally being loaded with the wrong firmware, but we've already checked that.

Truth to tell, the problem is unusual enough that I'd consider returning the unit for another. If you do, there's one trick to it all ... you'll either need to use a different email address to register the new unit, or you'll have to call tech support to have them switch your old email address to your new unit's serial number.

I called Tech support and was so frustrated I had to drop the whole thing for a while. They were not able to help me fix the problem and suggested that it was a hardware issue. But upon finding out I purchased my refurbed unit from Woot.com they said I am not covered by any kind of warranty at all. I though this was odd, since I was pretty sure my unit is a factory refurb and not a 3rd party one. But apparently, according to TomTom Support if you don't buy your unit from a preferred vendor then you are humped if you ever have trouble with it.

I can understand their limits on the warranty for refurbished units. They need to have some control over them otherwise you or I could fix up old units and sell them as refurbished and TT would have to cover our mistakes.

How about Woot.com? Do they warrant what they sell?

In case you decide to get a "new" one here is the best buy going and they do honor their warranty and free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003B3P2CY%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJDQORFYIN52C43IQ%26tag%3Dookongf--20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB003B3P2CY

This one (XXL540TM) is also a full featured model with lifetime Traffic and Maps.

Anyway, sorry about your problem.

Thanks. Woot does not in fact take returns, or warranty anything they sell. They do offer incredible deals though. I got my xxl for $60. I do wish I had gotten it somewhere else though and probably will not get tech stuff from Woot again.

Are they allowed to do that? They certainly couldn't act like that under European law.

In the UK, your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer, and if the goods are not of "merchantable quality", they don't have a leg to stand on (although many companies will still TRY to pass you over to the manufacturer, to wriggle out of their responsibilities).

The Woot website says:
How do I return a defective product?

Unless we specifically tell you not to, call the manufacturer of the product you bought. You will likely get a replacement of a new model or better item from them.

If we still haven't dissuaded you, email (e-mail address removed) with your woot order number, the name of the product you are returning, and the detailed problem with the item. We will respond with return authorization by the next business day. Because we aren't likely to have a replacement in stock, you should be prepared for a refund-only option if that's all we can do. Know that return freight will be at your expense. Again, you will probably get a better deal from the manufacturer, or whoever else handling member service for that product.

Ask a Question