Satellites

AEC

I am a new member and new owner of a TT1. I have enjoyed reading this forum and it was the primary reason for my purchase.
The TT1 has been a great addition to our driving enjoyment.
While attached to my computer the number of satellites acquired apears higher than when outside while driving.
Just curious - is there a reason?
Thanks.

I am a new member and new owner of a TT1. I have enjoyed reading this forum and it was the primary reason for my purchase.
The TT1 has been a great addition to our driving enjoyment.
While attached to my computer the number of satellites acquired apears higher than when outside while driving.
Just curious - is there a reason?
Thanks.

Welcome!

Maybe there's a satellite in your computer?

I'm assuming, since GPS is line-of-sight, you might be higher up and near an open window to get more hits?

Dunno...

Welcome!

Maybe there's a satellite in your computer?

I'm assuming, since GPS is line-of-sight, you might be higher up and near an open window to get more hits?

Dunno...

It has been known that the HOME software display incorrect information. It is possible that is the case.

digital-flex is right. If you are talking about the sats displayed by HOME, they are faked. They will show even when you have no signal at all.

Speaking Of Satellites.....

....how many does the TT need to have a good lock? Sometime I notice that even with 3 or 4 satellites I get good navigation information, other times I may have as many as 11 satellites locked but I do not notice any difference....

GPS needs 3 sat to determine a position, 4 if altitude is also wanted.

But there are reasons for the 'more sat the better' :

1- GPS use averaging from different sat to augment the accuracy.

2- Sattelites' position keep changing , and depending on the relative position to your vehicle (trees, tall building, hills, mountains ...) the signal can be lost, that's when other sat come to the rescue.
Anyone who has sat for their TV should be accustomed to the 'rain fade' , 'solar storm' syndromes. Climate is not always forgiving to communication signals.

Ask a Question