Safe to delete old downloads from HOME directory

TomTom Model(s)
One XL S
On my computer's HOME/Download directory there is over 5 GB of data including six complete map download directories. Is it safe to just delete the contents of the download directory? I just don't want to create more problems in HOME than I think I'm solving by reclaiming the space.

Do you have just one unit and does it appear that all the downloaded maps were for that one unit?

And have you updated to 855 just out a couple of days ago?

If so, for sure keep that cab file in the download\maps\ folder.

Some keep previous ones on a memory stick or something but no coompelling reason to do so in most cases if the recent map is working properly.

You can remove them.

I do have just one TT...all downloaded maps are for that one unit. I did just update to 855 earlier today.

Thanks for the info.

Like dhn says. Not trusting Home, I keep a full Windows backup of my current "working" setup and the one previous to any recent update, so I only have the last and most recent files in my Home download area (and probably don't need those). I always delete anything older than that.

It's often good to keep (one way or another) a copy of the stable release you had before any map or firmware update. That way, when you later discover that newer isn't better, you can drop back one version whenever needed. As an example, TomTom has been known to provide the occasional stinker of a firmware update, and when that happens, it's handy to have your last one available to you to reload, although with those, we can always get you a copy. Maps, on the other hand, are keyed to your unit. Always have current and current-1 of those somewhere that you can find them later.

It's often good to keep (one way or another) a copy of the stable release you had before any map or firmware update. That way, when you later discover that newer isn't better, you can drop back one version whenever needed. As an example, TomTom has been known to provide the occasional stinker of a firmware update, and when that happens, it's handy to have your last one available to you to reload, although with those, we can always get you a copy. Maps, on the other hand, are keyed to your unit. Always have current and current-1 of those somewhere that you can find them later.
If you're talking about the GPS unit's application software then a backup usually isn't necessary. If you want to roll back to a previous application version then it's a simple matter of deleting every last file and folder on the GPS unit. Then HOME will let you download whichever application version you want. You can also re download your map free of charge as many times as you want. There is no limit.

That's not quite correct what you are saying. The average user cannot select whatever application he or she wants from TomTom's site.

The site will offer what it thinks is appropriate for that model. Depending upon the situation and how old the application is on the unit when the user tries an update, only a few different apps may be offered. In fact, if you delete the application from your unit and then update, only the latest will get offered by TomTom as a rule.

You get to download a purchased map from TomTom as many times as you want for one year from time of purchase.

Ask a Question