Safe to delete these files?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
I thought I better start another thread as this is a different concern.

My XL-335TM is working great! I've used it around town the past 2 days and really like the routing, traffic, AND even see ALG working in places. I bit the bullet today and updated the Application to 9.056 (from 9.051). I haven't tried updating the map as yet since I don't know if I'll have enough space. After deleting a number of voices I'll never use ? plus the extra license files in other languages (I kept the 2 English files and Word docs), I now have 184 megs of free space. I noticed looking at the file structure of TomTom that there are some other files I might be able to delete. I listed those below...

• Under the Sub-directory "TomTom Home Install.app" (on the unit itself) there's a MacOS Classic file that's 509K in size. I don't have a MAC and will never get one. Can this file be deleted safely?

• Under the 'root' dir, there are some data files that say they're "recovered file fragments. The date of creation looks to be when the TT was built (March 2009)... but then they were accessed today?probably during the App. update. A couple of these are 1 to 2 meg in size. Can these be deleted safely?

• Also under 'voices' there are 2 files... data07.chk and data09.chk that says they're 'recovered file fragments'. These are 600k and 648k in size. Can these be deleted?
one last question...

I see that I don't have a LMG (latest map guarantee). Probably because my XL-335TM comes with Lifetime maps. dhn mentioned in another thread that there is a newer map than what I have... (currently have 845.2670), and it's rumored to be a newer map coming out in November. Should I go ahead and update now or would you suggest I wait until November? I know I'm only entitled to 4 updates per year.

Thanks.

• Under the Sub-directory "TomTom Home Install.app" (on the unit itself) there's a MacOS Classic file that's 509K in size. I don't have a MAC and will never get one. Can this file be deleted safely?
Yes, you can do without that one.
  • Under the 'root' dir, there are some data files that say they're "recovered file fragments. The date of creation looks to be when the TT was built (March 2009)... but then they were accessed today—probably during the App. update. A couple of these are 1 to 2 meg in size. Can these be deleted safely?
NO! While Windoze uses the extension *.chk for the results of running FDISK/CHKDSK/Scandisk (it picks up random pieces of files that aren't assigned to anything and calls them that instead of just discarding them), that is NOT what TomTom uses that extension for. DO NOT delete *.chk files in the root!
  • Also under 'voices' there are 2 files... data07.chk and data09.chk that says they're 'recovered file fragments'. These are 600k and 648k in size. Can these be deleted?
NO! See above. I believe you may still have two voices remaining on your unit. If you'll tell me which voices remain, I can look into whether one of the above can be killed off safely.
I see that I don't have a LMG (latest map guarantee). Probably because my XL-335TM comes with Lifetime maps. dhn mentioned in another thread that there is a newer map than what I have... (currently have 845.2670), and it's rumored to be a newer map coming out in November. Should I go ahead and update now or would you suggest I wait until November? I know I'm only entitled to 4 updates per year.
ONCE YOU HAVE DONE A FULL WINDOWS BACKUP OF YOUR UNIT (per dhn's good instructions found here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html ) yes, go ahead and grab map 855. You're entitled to as many updates as TomTom produces in a year, which happens to be 4 (give or take quarterly), so take 'em as they come.

Thanks.[/quote]

Last edited:
Thanks Canderson,

Ok, good thing I asked the question. I WON'T delete any of those '.chk' files. But will go ahead and delete the MacOS application.

The voices I have are:

1. Susan (computer)
  2. Lori (English)
  3. Richard (English)
I don't have Dave on my TT but see a number of users prefer that one.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Last edited:
  1. Susan (computer)
  2. Lori (English)
  3. Richard (English)
Lori is data07.chk and Richard is data09.chk (like I noted - TomTom has a very different use for *.chk extensions!). For maximum function, all you want to keep is Susan, anyway. The other two don't pronounce street names. If you remove those voices with Home, they shouldn't be appearing on your unit, and you'll save that much more space. Anyway, using Home to remove them is the "nice" way to do it.

Thanks Canderson,

I'll probably get rid of 'Richard'... but Lori is the one I've used for 3 years on my 3rd edition. I kind of got used to her. My wife used to make jokes like, "Oh there goes Lori again telling us what to do!".

<< edit >>
I removed the voice 'Richard' using Home and that data09.chk file went with it. Thanks.

Appreciate the help and guidance. Still getting used to this new unit—but really like it so far. All my itineraries that I had on my 3rd edition I moved over to the XL335TM and it looks like they'll work just fine (unless of course a road changed with the new map).

Last edited:
Just updated my map to v855.2934. It went smoothly, but slow. Actually took longer to download from the server than it did writing the map to the device. Server must have have been busy.

Before I downloaded the new map, I checked my free space and I had 185 meg free. After installing the new map, I have 203 meg free! I noticed when I clicked on 'info' for the map that was added to my account, it said something like... "This is the latest North American Map has been configured to fit your device. It contains 99.9% of the needed information". So... here's hoping that the 'LifeTime' map deal runs a long time.

One detail I'd like to share...

I read somewhere on this forum where we need to input our "LifeTime map code" in lower case. Well, something has changed in the latest ver. of HOME. When I did that, a script ran and changed the code to all upper case with some error in red under neath the code. All I had to do is click 'next' and the new map was offered. :)

Ask a Question