Routes to computer

Hello All. I'm planning to take a 150 mile bike trip to Washington D.C. soon. I have mapped the route in my Tom Tom XXL 540M using Bike as the mode. The route is far too difficult to preview in the Tom Tom. Is there any way to get the route from the Tom Tom into another computer program that would allow me to study the route? I've done alot of searching for a solution but have not been able to find it. Lot's of info going the other way but not exporting from the Tom Tom . Thanks. - Scotty

No, unfortunately there's no way to accomplish that. The online TomTom planner doesn't have a "bike" mode, either, so you can't use that to duplicate the routing your unit has provided. The online version will assume you're in a vehicle, and that can give entirely different results.

Apart from walking through the text version of the instructions on your unit and mapping those, I don't know how you'd do this.

I think the only way to do it would be to try creating the route on a PC program and see how it differs from your one on the TomTom. Then add a few waypoints on the PC prog. to force it to follow your preferred route as closely as possible.
This might take some time to get right, or you might be surprised how close it gets first time!

One very suitable program to try would be "Tyre", a free download from here:
Tyre

Thank you both for you responses. Andy_P, your suggestion worked out well. Using Tyre, I was able to select pedal bike as my means of transportation and when I went through the itinerary, I saw that the some of the segments of the route were actually trails which satisfied me in that it at least suggested that the route was as much a biking route as it could be. This is the same suggestion I got on the Tom Tom. Good enough for me (at least until I actually take the route). Thanks - Scotty

Ask a Question