Router planner different then my One XL

i recently picked up a tomtom one xl and have been using it for a while. while it doesn't take me on the route i would normally take, it still gets me there. i'm just sort of playing around with it right now.

but whey when i use the ROUTE PLANNER online, does it take me on a different route than my device?

New to GPSing TomTom One Xl

hey from winnipeg mb canada....

i picked up a TomTom One Xl for up for $85CAD at staples.

it's been decent so far, not the best routing in the city as it doesn't take me on the routes that are best, unlike the ROUTER PLANNER which does take me on the route i would normally use.

PROS: easy to use, cheap, updates are easy, simple and easy to operate, expandale with memory card
CONS: battery life sucks, not the best route planning

but it's nice to have, the kids like it and it'll come in handy on trips.

any tips or tricks i should know about.

Welcome. Make a complete backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Take advantage of the Latest Map guarantee wherein you're eligible for the newest map (825) within 30 days of first use.

Route Planner is likely using a different map version than your unit has now (tap the satellite bars to see the application version installed. Tap the version number to see the MAP version installed).

Welcome. Make a complete backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Take advantage of the Latest Map guarantee wherein you're eligible for the newest map (825) within 30 days of first use.

Route Planner is likely using a different map version than your unit has now (tap the satellite bars to see the application version installed. Tap the version number to see the MAP version installed).

i'll make backups using EXPLORER, thanks

i took advantage of the map guarantee

application vesion: 8.010
map version: v825.2159

The Online planner produces routes using the IQ data which is embeded into the map on some of the higher end devices, I am fairly sure the latest map for the XL doesn't contain the IQ data which would explain the different routing you are seeing - Mike

Yes, the online route planner uses:
1) the latest maps
2) live traffic info
3) IQ routes

If you update to map 825 and buy a traffic receiver, you'll get 2 out of above 3 inputs and the route should be closer/better.

You would need to buy a GO model, or the just-released One 340 XL-IQ to get IQ routes. Once you have all three inputs the route should be the same as online, and in my experience it is usually as good or better than the route you already know.

Yes, the online route planner uses:
1) the latest maps
2) live traffic info
3) IQ routes

If you update to map 825 and buy a traffic receiver, you'll get 2 out of above 3 inputs and the route should be closer/better.

You would need to buy a GO model, or the just-released One 340 XL-IQ to get IQ routes. Once you have all three inputs the route should be the same as online, and in my experience it is usually as good or better than the route you already know.

so in other words, like everything else, instead of offering firmware/software updates etc for older models (in this case, not that old) they released a new unit.

frustrating, very frustrating.

glad i only paid $85 for it.

why don't they make it so you can go online, use ROUTE PLANNER, then send this info to your TomTom, regardless of the model as an itinerary or route?

or make an update/patch for the units already out there so we can send this info to our units?

obviously the online routeplanner has better mapping than the GPS units, but it should be the other way around.

Yes, most tomtoms have had very similar internal hardware over the past few years.

The product differentiation lately has been mostly software features, with the newest/coolest features only available on higher end models.

They did retrofit the entire tomtom line with Mapshare a few years back, but they required everyone to buy a new map to use it. They also retrofitted the GO x20 with the GO x30's IQ routes, and similarly required a new map. The retrofitting usually happens 6-12 months after the initial release of a feature.

There's a chance the old ONE/XL models will get IQ routes via software update, but if it happens it will be a while and it will probably require a map purchase.

One of the big limitations is that all the current IQ routes devices have 64mb ram. Only the text-to-speech tomtom one/xl models have 64mb. All other ONE/XL models have 32mb. I'm planning to check out the XL340-IQ tonight, and see if it is a 32mb system.

Edit: I went to the only Best Buy in Boston that had x40's in stock. There was no sales rep in the GPS area, and none of the x40's were on display. I noticed a 740 in a box behind the drawer glass, but was unable to play with any of them (not buying for now). I'll report back in once display models are put out.

Last edited:

Ask a Question