Rider will not turn on. Help

So, I had my itinerary all planned and loaded. The night before the ride last weekend I plugged it into the charger. It was on, and plugged in on my counter overnight. Nothing new. The morning of the ride, I disconnected the charger, and the Rider immediately went off. Nothing has been able to get it to turn back on. Not the rest button, not the on/off button. No combination of anything I can find or try is working.

Just prior, I went ahead and did the new software update, and played with that. In fact I tested my itinerary on it and all seemed good to go. Now I have a rather expensive, paperweight on my hands.

Any ideas on what can be done to revive this thing?

P.S. Trip pictures for those interested in ride reports can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/borngraphics/

(Would have been nice to have the GPS, but there is a reason I always keep paper maps on long rides)

I can not answer your exact question, I do not leave mine plugged in overnite to charge it, I plug it into my auxiliary plug in the vehicle and that not only operates the GPS but also will keep the battery charged while traveling, if it doesn't reboot I'd give TT a call and see if they can help, otherwise I'm sure someone will chime in with some ideas.

So, I called TomTom support. My device is 1 year and 2 weeks since the date of purchase. Their answer? Sorry but, you need to go by a new one. Screw that, screw TomTom. This is about as much of a joke as I can handle.

I really can't quite understand customer support like this. Just out of warranty or not, they have no solution, no ideas other than by a new one. Yea, going out and spending $700 on another TomTom device is really the way I am going to go.

Rider will not turn on

The same thing happened to me. Very frustrating..

I fixed it, but it took some doing.

The reason it happened was that I confused it by making it navigate "home to home".

I fixed it by connecting it to the computer, and then holding the 'reset' button in for 20 seconds, disconnecting it, and then it finally powered on.

Surely TT offer a repair service for their products?
I would have thought that they would have repaired the device as it was so close to the end of warranty period! I would think that most TTRiders don't get used that often - a 3yr warranty, perhaps excluding the battery wouldn't be over the top IMO. Have you not done a search for repairers of TT devices?

Hope you get it sorted.

Pete :D

OK..I found this site after I googled "TomTom rider won't turn on".
After some extensive fault finding I eventually found that the battery was no longer being charged on the bike mount.
It has 12-24Vdc entering the bottom, but the 5Vdc output on the bike mount had failed.
Since I had long since packed the mains charger away I didn't realise that the tomtom was flat (empty battery).

Note my bike is on a batter tender, perhaps this upset the mount, in any event a new mount solved the problem.

Ask a Question