Rider 2 Sound Mount and Possibilities

New to this forum - Hi All !

OK, have a Rider 2 with the dock and all the mounting hardware for the bike. I have the cord to hardwire it into the bike. I also have the home charger and a car charger. So I am all set for the bike except for sound. I'm thinking I can bluetooth it to an earpiece to hear the GPS instructions ??. Is that correct ?

Also , I want to run it in the car.

Problems:

1) The car charger cord doesn't want to fit into the bottom of the GPS when it is in the bike dock - the dock hits the access door to the charger plug in site. ( I guess I can charge it and run off battery for short trips, but longer ones I will want to plug in)

2) I have no car mount ( the British accessory has the window mount and a car dock with access for the charger cord, and a speaker) I have no speaker and I have no headphone set to hear it. What are my bluetooth options ? Can I bluetooth it to my Blackberry and use it for a speaker, or can I get a bluetooth earpiece and pair the GPS with that and just pop the earpiece in while driving ? That would work on the bike too. ?

I see the English site for Tom Tom has a 48 GBP accessory which solves all these problems - probably $150 with shipping - just trying to figure out a way to use good old American ingenuity to make it work.

Any ideas appreciated. Many thanks.

This is what I did. Before I got my car kit I would use the car charger and turn up the volume on the helmet headset ( which I disconnected form the helmet ). I rigged up my own connection from the car charger to the m/c ram mount. Of course I planned all this in advance so I already had a disconnect on the bike so I could remove the bike mount. It was cumbersome but I made it work. I normally don't ride around with the GPS hoked up anyway. I only use it when I am going on a trip.

So I think you could get a Blue Tooth headset that would pair up with the Rider2. I had no problem with my cell phone pairing.

Now I just you the car kit. New car kits are nearly impossible to find.

I hope this helps.

Hi Boardhead
Not sure where you are located, but would advise you to search the forum before going to the expense of importing a car kit. I don't personally have one, but seem to remember reading that there are a few issues with the sound quality from the tiny speaker in the unit.
Shoegoo has stated that they are nearly impossible to obtain, yet I have found them on the Australian TT site (my local site for the Rider 2 .... they aren't available in New Zealand) for AU$ 134.95.
I haven't tried a bluetooth ear piece, but can't see why you couldn't find one to pair with the Rider. Perhaps take the Rider to the store and try pairing before you buy?
I have adapted a car mount for a TT One to hold the Rider and it allows me to open the access door and plug the car charger in. This adaption involved machining a piece of acrylic plastic (plexiglass) to fit the Rider, then screwing it to the One mount. It works well so long as the One mount it well attached to the window as the Rider weighs a lot more than the One!!
Keep the forum posted how you get on.

PC

Ask a Question