Resurrecting a 720

An update to anyone else with a troubled Go 720: mine is still working like a charm! I've installed some updates since the resurection last April, and it still works perfectly.

Good to hear it. I don't use my old 720 much, but it's still functioning and I still throw updates at it once in a while.

What I have noticed is that after some time of disuse, the touch screens on these things become less responsive. Anyone else with older units that see little use also seeing this?

Just read this very interesting thread,i'm going to make shure i opperate my Go720 at least once a week if i can.:thumb:

I agree. My 720 has slow response of keys as well.
We may be talking about the same thing, but as opposed to slow response, I'm getting a big lack of sensitivity to key presses. Even my 740 is beginning to show some of this since I've been exercising the Nav3 units almost exclusively for a while now.

Do you know... I use my Go720 more than ANY other TomTom I own?

That's because (as I've probably mentioned before), the Bluetooth died after I did a battery change, so I put v7 software back on it and it sits beside my bed running a game called "Happy lines". I usually have a quick play before I fall asleep!

Happy_Lines_1_600p.jpg

The screen gets prodded hundreds of times a day with the end of a Biro, and it's still quicker and more responsive than ANY more modern TomTom.

(And it still gets perfect signal lock in my bedroom too, try doing that with a Go1000 or 1005!!)

Last edited:
Since we are on this particular topic, what is the most successful alternative to fabricate a missing ribbon cable lock. I have two otherwise good units but sadly, that blasted tabbed brown plastic wedge lock is absent. I have a sacrificial unit to safely practice on.

I've not had to do it myself, but I'd think a thin sliver of something wedged into the back of the slot to hold the ribbon cable tight against the terminals and then a couple of blobs of hot-melt glue to hold everything in place.

I have a few of the "slider" type ribbon cable locks off the XL series. I suppose I could reverse engineer it with an exacto knife and deploy it as a wedge. Just hard to believe that there are no more of those to be had anywhere. That 730 mechanism is often found broken because it is not entirely intuitive to use. The problem comes not from the clip coming lose, it is easy to reposition, but inexperienced repairers snapping off the retaining tabs on the plug assembly.

Ask a Question