Requst for help: Itinerary planning and waypoints

TomTom One 3rd Edition

Hi, I can't get the itinerary planning to behave the way I expect. I'm testing this indoors with no GPS reception. I don't think that makes any difference but it does slightly change the steps I go through. Here's how to recreate my steps:

• Main Menu, Next, Next, Itinerary Planning
  • Options, New Itinerary, "are you sure?", Yes
  • Add, Address, [enter address of first waypoint]
  • Add, Address, [enter address of second waypoint]
  • Add, Address, [enter address of destination]
  • Click first entry in list, Mark As Waypoint
  • Click second entry in list, Mark As Waypoint
At this point the itinerary list shows two waypoints (the icon is two down arrows) and one destination (the icon is a chequered flag). Here's what I do next:

• Done, "first destination is [the third entry in the itinerary]. Navigate there now?", Yes
  • Fastest Route, Done
Now because I'm indoors I get a screen which says "You do not have GPS reception. Do you want to define a starting point...". I select "Yes", and enter the address of my start location.

TT plots a route from the start location to the destination but ignores my request to go via the two waypoints. If, when the route planning is complete, I click "Details" and "Browse Map Of Route" I can see two flags labelled "1" at the first waypoint and "2" at the second waypoint but I just can't force TT to route me through these waypoints. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I click "Details" and "Browse Map Of Route" I can see two flags labelled "1" at the first waypoint and "2" at the second waypoint
If it does indicate flag1 and flag2, that means it DOES pass through the 2 waypoints.
I can't think of any thing wrong as you said "but I just can't force TT to route me through these waypoints"

The other un-clear thing is, you said:
Done, "first destination is [the third entry in the itinerary]. Navigate there now?", Yes

It seems like you set your first waypoint as the desitnation and asked the TT to route there (yr 1st waypoint), I don't know why there are 2 yellow flags 1 and 2 even show up in the Browse Map of Route.

TomTom One 3rd Edition

Hi, I can't get the itinerary planning to behave the way I expect. I'm testing this indoors with no GPS reception. I don't think that makes any difference but it does slightly change the steps I go through. Here's how to recreate my steps:

• Add, Address, [enter address of first waypoint]
  • Add, Address, [enter address of second waypoint]
  • Add, Address, [enter address of destination]
  • Click first entry in list, Mark As Waypoint
  • Click second entry in list, Mark As Waypoint
At this point the itinerary list shows two waypoints (the icon is two down arrows) and one destination (the icon is a chequered flag). Here's what I do next:

• Done, "first destination is [the third entry in the itinerary]. Navigate there now?", Yes
  • Fastest Route, Done
Now because I'm indoors I get a screen which says "You do not have GPS reception. Do you want to define a starting point...". I select "Yes", and enter the address of my start location.

TT plots a route from the start location to the destination but ignores my request to go via the two waypoints. If, when the route planning is complete, I click "Details" and "Browse Map Of Route" I can see two flags labelled "1" at the first waypoint and "2" at the second waypoint but I just can't force TT to route me through these waypoints. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
For itinerary planning it makes no difference if there is no satellite (there won't be any anyway when you use HOME).

I do not get the screen "You do not have GPS reception. Do you want to define a starting point...". but I shouldn't in any case, as I do itineraries on the computer, not the device.

I have just made a new itinerary, disconnected from the computer, and get the same question. After tapping [YES] I entered my starting point (same as the itinerary start point) , tap [Done] and used the Demo mode at 500 % to drive the route.
Everything is OK.

Yours should be working OK too. If you still have that route there, go
[*]Main Menu, Next, Next, Itinerary Planning
[*]Done, "first destination is [the third entry in the itinerary]. Navigate there now?", Yes
[*]Fastest Route, Done
"You do not have GPS reception. Do you want to define a starting point...".
I select "Yes", and enter the address of my start location.
TT plots a route from the start location to the destination but ignores my request to go via the two waypoints. If, when the route planning is complete, I click "Details"

Now instead of "Browse Map Of Route" select "Show route demo"
Set it at 500 % an you should see that it takes you the way you intended.

When I look at the "Show route demo" screen, there is no number at my 1st waypoint, #1 is at my second waypoint and so is the checkered flag for the destination.

For itinerary planning it makes no difference if there is no satellite (there won't be any anyway when you use HOME).
It does have major difference, Arno, as I mentioned b4
Case 1: no GPS locked, it will ask you to input the Starting Point.
Case 2: if it detects the signals and get locked, it will never ask you to input the Starting Point but always set your Current Position as the Starting Point.

Therefore, let say that you are sitting at home at Toronto and you want to see how your .itn route of your up-coming vacation at NY City, from yr hotel in NYC to Empire Building to ChinaTown, ..., make sure your Tomtom NOT locked, otherwise it will route from Toronto to Empire Building and so on.

Thanks for all of the tips. I've now tried itinerary planning while I have good GPS reception and can confirm that the route correctly takes me through the two waypoints. I'll try the route demo later and hope that works too.

The other un-clear thing is, you said:
Done, "first destination is [the third entry in the itinerary]. Navigate there now?", Yes

It seems like you set your first waypoint as the desitnation and asked the TT to route there

I used the style of [the third entry in the itinerary] to try and type up a generic description of the problem. The forum reports you as being in Lowell, MA so, with a little help from Google Maps, here's a more specific description:

• Add, Address, Tewksbury MA
  • Add, Address, Wamesit MA
  • Add, Address, Lowell MA
  • Click Tewksbury in list, Mark As Waypoint
  • Click Wamesit in list, Mark As Waypoint
  • At this point the itinerary list shows two waypoints (Tewksbury, Wamesit, the icon is two down arrows) and one destination (Lowell, the icon is a chequered flag). Here's what I do next:
  • Done, "first destination is Lowell. Navigate there now?", Yes
  • Fastest Route, Done
  • "You do not have GPS reception. Do you want to define a starting point...". Select "Yes", and enter Chelmsford MA

Hopefully that's now a better description for you. The solution seems to be whether or not I have a GPS signal. If I have a GPS signal then the route is immediately plotted and the waypoints are correctly included. If I do not have a GPS signal then I am asked if I want to enter a start point. Once the start point is entered then I get a route from the start (Chelmsford in the example in this post) to the destination (Lowell) but the waypoints (Tewksbury, Wamesit) are ignored. Flag number "1" will be at Tewksbury and flag number "2" will be at Wamesit but the route does not go through these flags.

I'm happy that I understand this feature/limitation but I thought you'd appreciate the clarification of my initial post.

This doesn't happen to me on current software.

Perhaps it's a bug with app 7.x that was since corrected. Tomtom killed the Itinerary planning hack for the One 3rd edition on newer apps, so sounds like you couldn't benefit from the fix.

This doesn't happen to me on current software.

Perhaps it's a bug with app 7.x that was since corrected. Tomtom killed the Itinerary planning hack for the One 3rd edition on newer apps, so sounds like you couldn't benefit from the fix.

I assume this is referring to running route demo to force TomTom into thinking you are near the start of an itinerary. I have just upgraded from TomTom Navigator 6 on an IPAQ to a TT930. Now I can't find "show route demo" so is there no longer a way of forcing TT to plan an Itinerary? I am trying to plan itineraries for our trip to USA whilst sitting in my house in Spain!

Now I can't find "show route demo" so is there no longer a way of forcing TT to plan an Itinerary?

Menu -> Next screen -> Prepare route. Then when the route summary is displayed, tap details, then "show route demo"

Yes I found it. Many thanks.

I tried to use this to fool my TomTom into thinking it was near where I want to start my itinerary but that doesn't seem to work anymore? Unless I'm missing something...... again!

You can put your A-B points in at any point on the map and then do a demo and it will show you A-B But when you load in your itinary and you are not at the starting point (A) then when your unit gets its GPS fix it will take you to the starting point first then do the Itinary. ( A- B )

On my old IPAQ, using TomTom Navigator 6, it was a fairly well known trick to run route demo, stop it and TomTom, thinking it was near the first point on the itinerary, would plot a route which you could then check by viewing a map of the route. No longer possible, it seems.

Why TT don't allow us to plot an itinerary to view I cannot guess.

On my old IPAQ, using TomTom Navigator 6, it was a fairly well known trick to run route demo, stop it and TomTom, thinking it was near the first point on the itinerary, would plot a route which you could then check by viewing a map of the route. No longer possible, it seems.

You still can view the itintrary when you first make it by clicking on demo but after you save the file to your ITN folder and you open it up with your TT unit it will draw a rout from your present location to point A. However if you would like to view it A-B you can open it with Tyre.

You could set your start point as the first waypoint on the itinerary, then you can see a summary of how tomtom would get you from stop 1 onwards.

OK. I've found a way of doing this.

If I operate my TT from TT Home, there is a button below the screen, "Set current location". If I do this by choosing a POI or whatever where I will be starting from, TomTom will then happily calculate a route for the loaded Itinerary which I can view etc.

I can't find a way of doing this on the device alone. But I'm happy now!

Ask a Question