remembering a location

Is there a way to "remember" a location in a TOMTOM one?

Like if I were at a location and wanted to navigate to it again?

You could set current location as a favourite and, next time, just Navigate to-->Favourite and select this location.

In your 'Quickmenu', you can set one of the icons to be 'Add this Position to Favourites'. So, as I said, you get to a certain location, tap the Add this position.... in Quickmenu.

And you are good to go in the future.

A second method is to add the current location as a poi in a poi category you have set up.

Great but........

What I am trying to set as a favorite is not an address. This is a sort of off road place

I am an amateur astronomer and have found a site that I like and would like to be able to navigate back to that position without a physial address.

Then you have a problem. Here's why:

TomTom can set an off road location as a favourite since it takes the lat/long values as the location.

However, if you try to Navigate To --> Favourite. It will show you a route not found unless your favourite is on a mapped road. TomTom is a on road gps and, as such, the best it can route you to is a road closest to the off road location.

What I am trying to set as a favorite is not an address. This is a sort of off road place

I am an amateur astronomer and have found a site that I like and would like to be able to navigate back to that position without a physial address.
Not sure about your model, but the GO series has a second screen of options (use the blue right arrow) and select "My location" for your favorite when you are on site. It will store the current latitude/longitude and ask you to name the location.

Then you have a problem. Here's why:

TomTom can set an off road location as a favourite since it takes the lat/long values as the location.

However, if you try to Navigate To --> Favourite. It will show you a route not found unless your favourite is on a mapped road. TomTom is a on road gps and, as such, the best it can route you to is a road closest to the off road location.
If the final location is off-road, it will take you as close to that location as possible ON road and point an arrow toward the off-road destination.

Once you venture far enough off-road for the TT to realize that this is what you're doing, it will give up trying to road snap, and will continue to show the destination with a marker. Of course, you're on your own to keep it rubber side up from that point on!

Come to think of it, I haven't tried that with a "favorite" yet, but I am sure that's how it works with POI entries. Many geocaches are NOT on roads!

Last edited:
Last time I tried as an off-road favorite I did get "no route found". DHN is correct that it needs to be set up in a custom poi file, which will make it a "routable" point. But as Candeson correctly points out, once you are off the beaten path, you're somewhat on your own and need to navigate by sight, using the on-screen arrow as a guide.

Thanks everyone

:D:D
Getting close on the named road will be close enough probably. The biggest things is whyere the turn off is. i will try the favorite...my location, sounds like it might work for me.

This worked just fine for me when I had to travel to Alabama for work. The area I was in was VERY VERY new, so only the main road was on the map. The hotels were located very deep off of side streets off of the main road. Entering in the address for the hotel was really bad, since the map had the hotel almost 1 mile off. I simply drove up to the hotel (after calling them to figure out where the heck they were) and added "current location" as a favorite.

Now any time I would select the hotel as a favorite, it would take me right to the side street where I would have to turn. It worked out well. As others have said, it will route you just fine, up until the TomTom no longer sees any roads. From there you are on your own.

My parking at work is a couple of hundred yards off the road. I had set it as a favorite, but found I couldn't get a route to it, or from it. When I entered it as a POI, I can get a route from it, and to it. When I get to the entrance off the street, Mandy says I have reached my by destination, but there is an arrow turning right and there is a checkered flag alone in a blank area. When I leave, Mandy say, in two hundred yards turn left.

I think setting it up as a POI will work best. At least your TomTom will get you as close as possible as the roads allow, and then you're on your own if it's off the road.

:D:D
Getting close on the named road will be close enough probably. The biggest things is whyere the turn off is. i will try the favorite...my location, sounds like it might work for me.
Sounds like you need to create a Point of Interest, My Location instead. As noted above, I do this all the time with POI, but realized I hadn't been trying it with favorites, and the rest of the troops here say the favorite route doesn't fly properly.

Much of my "off road" experience is in fact nothing more than geocaches located either in the mountains or on park paths and in parks. Setting the POI will, as noted, get you as close as possible on any road that the TomTom can identify to get you close.

SOMETIMES, that creates some interesting results. Searching for a geocache in a metro parking lot close to an interstate highway, the TT will put you on the closest road -- not always a good plan:eek: Not a problem in your case, though!

Ask a Question