RDS TMC for GO 520

i'm sure this must be simple but cant find a relevant thread..

the RDS TMC traffic updates for my device have stopped.. the cable was temperamental in that occasionally it needed wriggling into the jack and tweaking before it actually started to work but worked pretty much ok for approx 3 years

not sure if this is common (sure it must be) and whats the best solution as i dont want to buy another subscription and/or cable to find it still fails

No way to know without trying another. It sounds like you have a loose connection, and it could either be the unit connector or the cable connector. Does your unit reliably connect to the PC cable, even if you wiggle that? If so, then there's some chance it's the cable. If wiggling causes issues with the PC cable, then odds are good that the 520's own connector is getting loose, and another cable won't help that.

Does your unit reliably connect to the PC cable, even if you wiggle that? If so, then there's some chance it's the cable. If wiggling causes issues with the PC cable, then odds are good that the 520's own connector is getting loose, and another cable won't help that.

I thought the OP meant the jack plug version of the RDS-TMC.

I can't remember... Can the Go520 use the USB version now?

Hm.... could be you're right, Andy. I wonder which one it is that he has? I'm just noting now that he's had the one he's using for 3 years. Could be the newer style cable will resolve two problems at once, and yes, the new cable will work on a 520 with the new firmware per dhn.

its an old machine using the non-usb jack so what do you all think is best? a new usb cable or standard old type?
all thoughts and help much appreciated tyvm

edit: its all up to date on software etcs, except somehow it wont recognise postcodes

Getting your postcodes back is easy, mate.

(I'm assuming that as you said "postcodes" you're in the UK?)

To save me writing it all out again, here's a post I wrote elsewhere with instructions and a link to get the latest files.

How To Install The Latest Postcode Files

got the new usb cable and when i first plugged it in/powered up it recognised the RDS TMC receiver
but no luck getting the traffic updates grrr

What firmware level do you presently have on your unit?

Ask a Question