Question about Advanced Lane Guidance

I have a question about advanced lane guidance. When does it start to appear on the TOMTOM screen? I recently purchased a TOMTOM730. It has App version 8 and the latest map. The map installed is North America (Contains US and Canada) I'm currently in New Jersey and I take the Garden State Parkway North to reach work. As I'm driving I didn't notice the advanced lane guidance appearing. And yes, its turned on within the device.
My question is: When does it appear while driving, what roads, highways, etc...

One more question: Sometimes while I'm driving, the GPS doesn't name all the street names. Is this normal?
Let me know about your experiences.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It appears about half a mile before a freeway intersection.

Are you sure it is ALG you are referring to? I believe there is great confusion between what ALG is visually vs what Reality View is. My understanding is that ALG is shown on the status bar with arrows on the left side of the status bar while Reality View appears in the top roght of the screen showing lanes veering off from the main route. It does this with static pictures.

When people are reporting they aren't see ALG, I suspect they really are referring to not seeing the static photos appear (Reality View). And, from my understanding, ALG is a user preference as to whether it is shown or not on the status bar,

Of course, I, uh, could be wrong. Been known to happen .... once ... or twice ........ or :eek: :eek:

Are you sure it is ALG you are referring to? I believe there is great confusion between what ALG is visually vs what Reality View is. My understanding is that ALG is shown on the status bar with arrows on the left side of the status bar while Reality View appears in the top roght of the screen showing lanes veering off from the main route. It does this with static pictures.

When people are reporting they aren't see ALG, I suspect they really are referring to not seeing the static photos appear (Reality View). And, from my understanding, ALG is a user preference as to whether it is shown or not on the status bar,

Of course, I, uh, could be wrong. Been known to happen .... once ... or twice ........ or :eek: :eek:

ALG (shown in the status bar) does appear approximately 1/2 mile before an intersection for which ALG data is available (not necessarily limited to freeways). If you're interested in seeing it in action, plan a route on your TomTom starting at around mile marker 123 on the Garden State Parkway, with a destination somewhere on Route 287 northbound, and then demo the route. There are several instances of ALG appearing as you transition from the Garden State Parkway to Route 440 southbound, and I believe one more on Route 287 northbound, depending on how far north on 287 your destination is.

I have yet to see any static images appear on any routes I have taken - including from exit 10a on the GSP to exit 161.

Last edited:
I do not own an x30 device so I can't say for sure but reading/researching leads me to the conclusion is that ALG will ONLY kick in when its DATA is available. That means it will display the static image of the freeway lanes and the exit lanes if and only if that particular area has some info.
It does not mean it will display static images on EVERY exit on ALL freeways. For example, travelling on Garden State Parkway, you might see ALG image at some exits, but not all.
How do you verify it?
MQ (above) has set out a spot, you might want to get there (if you live by close enough) to see ALG activate on your device or not.
Hope it works for you.

yikes you guys confused me.
This image (advanced lane guidance)

2381-US_02.gif

Will appear about half a mile before your freeway intersection.

If it appears now and then, this means the image is not available for that intersection.

If it doesn't appear at all, the option is not enabled.

No, I think I'm the confused one......

I thought, in your screenshot, the ALG referred to the 3 vertical purple arrows in the status bar. The Reality view is the static photo of the green arrow (and scenery) going off to the right. I also thought you could get ALG to show without Reality view kicking in.

I think the "Reality view" is the ALG we're talking about, dhn.
The 3 purple arrow section is just the info.
If my memory not really let me down, then I think it (the arrows in the info section) was appearing in my 920 at some points. (but don't quote on mine yet)

From this link at TomTom, it appears we may be referring to the same thing, after all:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=Advanced+Lane+guidance&FID=9594

I think you're right. "Reality View" is a term used by Navigon (probably trademarked), and we've been using that term to refer to the static images that are sometimes available in conjunction with Advanced Lane Guidance. "Lane Images", as TomTom calls them, can be enabled/disabled by pressing the "Hide lane images" or "Show lane images" button under "Change preferences".

I did manage to come across a location where a Lane Image was presented on screen this morning.

I also came across this extreme example of Advanced Lane Guidance:

ExtremeALG.JPG

That kept me laughing for about 5 minutes.

That screen above makes me cringe. [and i've personally seen it]

First of all, means i'm heading north I95 towards Boston = BAD NEWS

Five axle GWB toll coming up soon = REALLY BAD NEWS

More than likely will be re-routed [later] south which means a repeat of same route = EVEN MORE BAD NEWS

Good things just don't happen for me , PERIOD , on I95 [north of Rich,Va.]

New730

My new 730 has given me several ALG shots as well as the purple arrows indicating which lane I should be in. The system seems to work great for me. My questions are... What is that vertical indicator on the right side of the screen?? I have yet to see that appear. Also, this unit has IQ Routes but I have seen it or found a way to activate it. Any assistance with that will be more than appreciated.
Thanks!

My new 730 has given me several ALG shots as well as the purple arrows indicating which lane I should be in. The system seems to work great for me. My questions are... What is that vertical indicator on the right side of the screen?? I have yet to see that appear. Also, this unit has IQ Routes but I have seen it or found a way to activate it. Any assistance with that will be more than appreciated.
Thanks!

The vertical bar reflects the fact that unit is receiving a traffic signal (green dot). The IQ route apparently is automatically enabled when you choose 'fastest route'

OK

The vertical bar reflects the fact that unit is receiving a traffic signal (green dot). The IQ route apparently is automatically enabled when you choose 'fastest route'

So the green dot and the scrolling vertical line below it are only enabled if one has a traffic subscription?? That must be why I haven't seen it.

But playing around I notice that when I choose a route the next screen shows me IQ route (weekdays) before the navigation screen comes on so... I will check this same route tomorrow to see if it maps things out differently on Saturday~

Thanks for the extremely prompt reply! :)

Ask a Question