Advanced Planning Question

TomTom Model(s)
One
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I got my One last Tuesday, sent for my map updates Thursday evening and received them on Monday, talk about fast service. Anyway, here's my question.

We are planning on flying to Las Vegas in late May, renting a car, and traveling around the Sierras. I loaded the maps of the Western Region and would like to use the Advanced Planning to help in the routing. Is there any way to save a route once you have created it like you can in the Itinerary Planning function.

No, you can't save a route from the Advanced Planning section. But you can preplan your destinations and save them as Favorites. I did the same trip last May and saved all of my propective hotels as favorites in advance. You can also save them as POIs.

You make an Itinary with all the waypoints & the destination, just leave out the starting point. What's the difference ?

Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't think there was a way to save, I will use 46jimbo's suggestion to save all of my hotel's as Favorites. Then when we get out there I can easily create an itenerary. I thought about creating an itenerary starting from home with the first stop at Mc Carran airport in Vegas as suggested by lec510, but I don't have the North American map installed due to my 1MB SD card. (I know, 2 MB cards are cheap).

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions over time. We're taking our first road trip to Gatlinburg TN. this weekend. It's supposed to be our first beautiful weekend this spring.

Ok, I can put McCarran as the first destination, then plot waypoints to specify the route with destinations for each place to visit and each hotels we use. Once we arrive in Vegas, we can mark McCarran as visited and then start navigating from there. I guess then that I would use the advanced planning tool to simulate each segment of the trip to check mileage etc. before I added it to the itinerary.

Is this how others have done it, or is there an easier way?

Again, thanks for the help. I have spent the last couple days reading this forum and found out alot of good information. I have already customized my menus and installed Tripmaster. I look forward to our first real road trip with the TomTom.

When making an itinerary, don't be concerned with the starting point, in you case, the a airport. And certainly don't make your starting point a destination! Make your waypoints the stops along your route. So when you arrive in Las Vegas, turn on your TomTom, call up the itinerary that you created and saved and it will direct you to the first waypoint.

You might try playing with the simulation in TomTom Home (bottom left under 'More' - 'My ONE, 910 etc.' You can do your planning on the computer screen and it will save everything to your unit. The advantage is that you can make the program think that you are actually at McCarran Airport and start navigating from there.

It sounds like you want to set up your entire trip as one big itinerary, which I think will complicate things and restrict you.

Here's what I did before leaving home. I created a new POI category called 'Trip'. Then I found the locations of each destination, put the cursor on it and saved it as a POI into the 'Trip' folder. My evening activity would be to examine the next day's routing, browsing the map in detail to see if the routing was OK. Often other people suggested we visit places we hadn't planned on, so our 'itinerary' was flucuating all the time.

And remember, when you first get your rental car, save the office location as a favorite (using 'GPS Location') so you know how to get back there to return the car!

And my final piece of advice is to pack a paper clip in your TomTom kit, just in case it ever locks up and needs to be reset. I keep mine in an empty SD card case.

>> Is this how others have done it, or is there an easier way?

You can do that with MS Streets & Trips (it give KM , sorry miles, & gas cost too) or Google Earth (see my post 'No POI no problemo' in the Third party software forum).

Google Earth is free, and you can use Tyre to save your Itinaries created by G.E into your TomTom. The simulation of the Itinaries look very impressive, like you're in an airplane cockpit !

More really good info. I probably never would have thought to save the rental car lot as a favorite. Thanks, 46jimbo for that idea, and I already have my paper clip in my case. I have already twice put the One into a calculating route loop and had to reset to get out of it.

I have also been looking at using Tyre and Google Earth to do some of my planning.

Thanks, everyone.

You might try playing with the simulation in TomTom Home (bottom left under 'More' - 'My ONE, 910 etc.' You can do your planning on the computer screen and it will save everything to your unit. The advantage is that you can make the program think that you are actually at McCarran Airport and start navigating from there.

I can't figure out how to get it to start navigating from somewhere other than my current location. Can you explain in more detail?

I can't figure out how to get it to start navigating from somewhere other than my current location. Can you explain in more detail?

Never mind. I found out how. For those of you like me that didn't know. There is a button below the virtual TomTom that says "Set Current Location". Simply push that button and then set your location using the same method you would set any destination.

Learning something new all the time.

Ask a Question