TomTom One 3rd Edition and advanced trip planning

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I'm getting a new TomTom One 3rd Edition from my wife for Christmas, so I haven't opened it yet.

My existing GPS experience is with an **old** Garmin GPS (III Plus; one of the old prism-shaped units with the monochrome display). With that unit I would use Garmin's MapSource software on my PC to pre-plan my routes, then I'd import the routes and appropriate maps into the unit. It was time consuming and cumbersome, but it did give me complete control of what my route would be.

I've been doing some research on this forum and elsewhere to try to get up to speed in advance of opening the TomTom One, and I have some questions:

• Can I use the software that comes with the One to pre-plan a specific route, if I don't like the route that the One chooses all by itself?
  • I understand that I can modify the One's menus and add the Itinerary feature to the One. Will this allow me to select from multiple pre-planned and saved routes so that I can force the One to stick with an existing route that I know I like?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

<snip> I've been doing some research on this forum and elsewhere to try to get up to speed in advance of opening the TomTom One, and I have some questions:

• Can I use the software that comes with the One to pre-plan a specific route, if I don't like the route that the One chooses all by itself?
  • I understand that I can modify the One's menus and add the Itinerary feature to the One. Will this allow me to select from multiple pre-planned and saved routes so that I can force the One to stick with an existing route that I know I like?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Steve,

I'm pretty new to the TT One 3v too, but today I tried planning a 4 or 5 hour trip from WPB, FL to Valrico, FL. The TT kept taking me to Orlando on major roads. I kept trying re-configure, but I couldn't get it to take me to Hyw 60 until I specified "via another place". When I did that (I used the town of Lake Wales), it routed me the way I normally go.

There may be another way to do this, but I'm not sure.

I, too, created a menu for the TomTom 3rd Edition that includes the Itinerary Planning Icon. Here is the file:
>>> TomTom.mnu <<<

You place it into an /SdkRegistry directory that you create as I describe on this webpage:
>>> Custom Menus <<<

You can use Google Maps and a program called T.Y.R.E. to easily map a route before you go, or you can create itineraries on the go using your TomTom. Here is a detailed instructions on how to use T.Y.R.E. and Google Maps...all free:
>> > Using TYRE and Google Maps <<<

Last edited:
Good info

OK, thanks for the info about the TYRE application.

Does that mean that you can't use the software that comes with the One to create itineraries?

OK, thanks for the info about the TYRE application.

Does that mean that you can't use the software that comes with the One to create itineraries?

The TomTom ONE 3rd Edition does not come with the Itinerary Planning Icon as the 1st, 2nd, and LE Edition do. Not sure why, but TomTom did not provide the users with this icon in their 3rd edition. Think of it as a PC that has a program installed, but no icon available to launch the application.

By customizing the menu, however, many have found the icons associated with the various programs.

Yes, but...

My question isn't how to put Itinerary Planning onto the One 3rd Edition. My question is simply this: Can you use the software that comes with the One (on a CD-ROM, to be installed on your PC) to plan an itinerary in advance of a trip, or must you use an application like TYRE to accomplish this?

Also, if you use TYRE to create an itinerary, how do you know that the route shown on Google Maps (connecting all of your TYRE-created waypoints) will match the route that the One will construct from those waypoints? Is it possible that Google Maps' route won't exactly match the One's route?

My question isn't how to put Itinerary Planning onto the One 3rd Edition. My question is simply this: Can you use the software that comes with the One (on a CD-ROM, to be installed on your PC) to plan an itinerary in advance of a trip, or must you use an application like TYRE to accomplish this?

Also, if you use TYRE to create an itinerary, how do you know that the route shown on Google Maps (connecting all of your TYRE-created waypoints) will match the route that the One will construct from those waypoints? Is it possible that Google Maps' route won't exactly match the One's route?

Ahhh, I understand now. I have not seen a PC program from TomTom to generate an itinerary...

Good question on the relative accuracies of Google Maps versus the TomTom maps. All waypoints are determined from a Latitude and Longitude value (the maps are just a visual representation of familiar surroundings, such as roads)....regardless of the GPS or other software you are using....therefore, the intersection values will be accurate. The question comes into play is how accurate are the TomTom maps in regards to the Lattitude and Longitude values. I suspect they are going to be pretty accurate.

And remember, once you put the waypoints on the TomTom and use the TomTom to generate a route to connect these points, it will use the maps on the TomTom to accomplish this...so you will be given a route that uses Roads the TomTom knows.

Last edited:
That's what I'm wondering

And remember, once you put the waypoints on the TomTom and use the TomTom to generate a route to connect these points, it will use the maps on the TomTom to accomplish this...so you will be given a route that uses Roads the TomTom knows.

Yes, that's my follow-up question: Will the TomTom connect the waypoints in the same way that Google Maps connects the waypoints? I'm sure the latitudes/longitudes of the waypoints will match between the TomTom and Google Maps. I'm just curious as to how consistently the two will connect the waypoints when building a route.

Steve, there is no software on the cd for itineraries. Once you create the custom menu to make the itinerary function come back, it allows you to create itineraries on the TomTom (like on all the other models). There are various methods of creating the waypoints - most of us use the 'Point on map' to mark its spot.

Once you have created an itinerary, you can give it a name, save it and call it up whenever you need it. These are very small text files, so they won't take up valuable space.

The only PC software which comes with the unit is the 'Home' program. Among its many functions (downloading updates, etc.), it permits you to create a virtual TomTom on the screen where you can test these itineraries from any starting point you choose. (You can run the itinerary on the unit itself, but it always wants to start the route from your present location, which may not be what you want. The simulation gets around this limitation.)

The TYRE program just makes it easier to create the itinerary. But the TomTom may decide on a different route between waypoints than Google Maps does. This is why you have to place lots of waypoints in order to force the route you want.

Describing this seems complex, but it's actually a lot simpler when you have the unit in your hand.

TT One Third Edition running V7.162

Happy Holidays all!

Newbie around here but not new to Navi(Have garmin C320 in my car). For Xmas I bought my wife a TT One Third edition. Upgraded to V7.162 software this morning and it works quite well but have been unable to customize the menu's. I want the "Itinerary" feature and have done as described in various threads.

Created a TomTom.mnu file consisting of the following:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Page 1 of 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Page 2 of 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Preferences Page 1 of 6|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIGURE_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_HIDEMAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Preferences Page 2 of 6|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MANAGE_MAPS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_2D3D|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5|Preferences Page 3 of 6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BACKLIGHT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOICE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6|Preferences Page 4 of 6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_LANGUAGE|
MENUITEM|TASK_LEFTHANDED|
MENUITEM|TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE7|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE7|Preferences Page 5 of 6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE8|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE8|Preferences Page 6 of 6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_TIPS|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_RESET_SETTINGS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|

Saved this file in a folder called SdkRegistry which is in the root of the device.

The issue is I still have the original menus displayed. am I missing something here?

Craig

The name of the file must be 'TomTom.mnu'.

Watch out that Notepad didn't add a '.txt' to the end of the filename. You have to manually rename it 'TomTom.mnu'. ('TomTom.mnu.txt' won't work!)

.mnu

The name of the file must be 'TomTom.mnu'.

Watch out that Notepad didn't add a '.txt' to the end of the filename. You have to manually rename it 'TomTom.mnu'. ('TomTom.mnu.txt' won't work!)

Jimbo,

Thanks for the suggestion and yes my file is in fact TomTom.mnu

I had created a folder labeled SdkRegistry. I read somewhere that I was supposed to already have had one in the device root directory. is this true because prior to me creating the folder there was not one there. This leads me to believe that the menu data is stored elsewhere on my unit.

Craig

No, there is no folder called 'SdkRegistry' on the TomTom when you buy it. It has to be added. So the built-in menu is somewhere else on the system. When you remove the 'TomTom.mnu' file, the unit reverts to the built-in menu.

However, this doesn't explain why your custom menu doesn't load.

Try using mine (it's much simpler) to see if it works on your unit:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_2D3D|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of |
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

I, too, created a menu for the TomTom 3rd Edition that includes the Itinerary Planning Icon. Here is the file:
>>> TomTom.mnu <<<

You place it into an /SdkRegistry directory that you create as I describe on this webpage:
>>> Custom Menus <<<

You can use Google Maps and a program called T.Y.R.E. to easily map a route before you go, or you can create itineraries on the go using your TomTom. Here is a detailed instructions on how to use T.Y.R.E. and Google Maps...all free:
>> > Using TYRE and Google Maps <<<

PLEASE update your links, I'm new here and missed all of this great info.

I used that tool at http://houghi.org/tomtom/ to create a .itn file and dropped it into the itn folder to create an itinerary, Works OK.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am a noob, could someone tell me how to add Itinerary Planning icon to my TT one 3rd please. Don't care for everything like the link to the post above. But I really would like to use TYRE and google maps to plan routes. Thanks

I am a noob, could someone tell me how to add Itinerary Planning icon to my TT one 3rd please. Don't care for everything like the link to the post above. But I really would like to use TYRE and google maps to plan routes. Thanks

Use my instructions for creating a custom menu on the following page. I also have a custom menu on that page that you can simply download and use. This custom menu will give you the Itinerary Planning Icon on your 3rd edition:
>>>> Custom Menus <<<<

Original menu

In order to use a text editor to edit the *.mnu file and put the old text commands into the file, and some new, I would like to find the original commands.

Where can I find the original commands?

Thanks

Ask a Question