Problem

Jat

I just bought the TomTom one 3rd edition and i was in the process of updating when an unexpected error occured, something about unable to find the requested file type so i went into explorer and found the Removable Disk Drive that was my TomTom, i went into it and accidently right clicked a new folder then my pc froze so i rebooted.

I noticed that my TomTom was playing up, i turned it on, it made the sound with the TomTom logo on then the yellow bar loaded and then it went off ! and its always being doing it since. I can connect it to the pc which is the only way to keep it on, i thought if i could successfully update it then the problem would go away but it seems TomTom home always fails to launch with an error message "Runtime Error!" and asks me to reinstall which I've done twice. I found the folder that i accidentally created when i looked at the Removable disk in explorer and tried to delete it but a message came up saying "Cannot read from source disk" and now I'm stuck and i need desperate help.

UPDATE:

Now when i turn it on, it has a flashing red cross (X) at the bottom right. Is there no way to return the TomTom to factory settings?

I think you hosed the file system when you rebooted while the TT was trying to read the disk. You probably have to contact TT support. When I got the red X on my 910 I needed to send it in and get a factory refurbished replacement (I was within warranty.)

I agree with Sextant on you hosing your operating system files.

However, you can try the following to see if HOME will recognize that you don't have an O/S or maps....this has worked for me with blank SD cards, so a blank internal memory should be the same:

1) Plug your TomTom to your PC
2) Make sure TomTom HOME is not running by right clicking on the HOME icon in the lower right application tray of Windows and clicking "Exit"
3) Using Windows Explorer, find your TomTom
4) Make a backup of your TomTom by copying EVERYTHING from your TomTom into a folder on your PC using Windows Explorer
5) Once you are sure you have a backup of your data, delete everything from your TomTom.
6) Once you have deleted all files, run the TomTom Clear Flash Tool:
>>> Clear Flash <<<
7) Once the Clear Flash tool completes, open up TomTom HOME...
8) HOME should recognize that you have a TomTom plugged in but that there is no TomTom Operating System (called TomTom Application).
9) If home gives you the choice to install the TomTom Application, go ahead and do that.
10) Once you've installed the operating system, go to the TOOLS menu in TomTom HOME
11) Click on "Use Latest Map Guarantee"
12) HOME should see that you are permitted to use the Guam and USA_and_Canada maps and allow you to download and install them.
13) When HOME shows the maps to download, go ahead and download and install.

Your TomTom should be back to factory installed at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks Birdman i followed your suggestions and my TomTom is now working BUT i clicked on Latest Map Guarantee and i got the message "The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom device"

and I've searched for the Great Britain and Ireland map (which came with my TomTom) but its asking me to pay for it. Is there any way of transferring a backup file that has map info on it?

nvm i copied the folder named "United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland" which used to be on my tomtom before i deleted it and that seems to have done the trick but once again there is a problem i can access my tomtom and set the settings using the feature in Home but once disconnected and i turn on my TomTom it just shows the blackscreen with the TomTom writing then it shows the yellow bar then it goes back to the blackscreen, after a few seconds it gets a bit brighter then nothing. Ive waited 2 minutes then reset and try again but same thing, but through HOME i can use it normally, weird. Everything else is fine, i can even update through the pc just can't access the TT without the pc. However i have a strange feeling that its due to the presence of the old accidental files that were placed there as they cannot be deleted.

Last edited:
All Fixed. If anyone else has this problem, this is what i did to solve it:

I couldn't delete certain files on the TomTom and so i ended up formatting the TomTom (FAT32) then i connected it to the pc and HOME (after clicking update) downloaded a software version which it then installed. I copied the other folders from my backup to the TomTom and disconnected. Worked a treat then i updated my map version and joined TomTom Mapshare and downloaded them, now it seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question