Problem with Startup

My problem is once the TomTom is started and I set the original settings (right/left handed, time, etc), I get to the point for choosing a voice, and when I do, the GPS freezes for a few seconds and starts over. I cannot get by the choosing of the voice. It continuously starts over. I have tried resetting by holding down the power button for about 20 seconds, but the same problem is still present. Has anyone else had this issue? The first time it happened was over a very long period of inactivity, so I bought a new battery and charged it for a couple hours in the car, but I still have the exact same issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

To give any detailed advice, we need to know what TomTom model you have.

It sounds to me like this could be a specific file that has got corrupted (MapSettings,cfg) but you can only "get at it" to correct the problem on older TomTom models.

Thanks Andy.
My Model is TomTom One N14644 Canada 310. It was purchased less than 2 years ago. I've tried resetting and I do hear the drum beat but the unit keeps freezing and restarting after I hit either Cancel or Select on the "Select a voice" page.

OK thanks for the model name, that means we can go ahead (by the way the "Canada 310" bit isn't part of the name, that's just a Canadian telecoms regulation that the TT has to adhere to)

So... try this... No promises it will work, but it might.

Do note that you will lose some personal settings such as your home location and any Favourites that you have stored so far.

Connect the TomTom to your PC with the USB cable (I'm assuming ou're using a Windows PC here, but the MAc will be similar)

The PC will recognise the TomTom as a new "disk drive" and give it a new drive letter, just like your hard disk and CD drives.

If you have TomTom "Home" installed on the PC and it starts up automatically, shut it down.

1. Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and find the new TomTom in the list of disk drives.

2. Open the drive and look for a folder called after the name of your map "North America" "USA and Canada", "Western Europe" or something like that.

3. Inside that folder there will be a file called "MapSettings.cfg".

4. Copy that file to somewhere on your PC (eg the desktop) just in case you need it again.

5. Delete that one file from the TomTom

6. Disconnect the TomTom from the PC, (using the "Safely remove hardware" icon next to the clock before you physically unplug it)

7. Re-start the TomTom and see if that cures the problem.

OMG! It worked! Thank you so much! I am ecstatic right now. I really appreciate this...damn i love this site.
If you're ever in the Ottawa area, I owe you a beer! Or 2!

Cheers!

A pleasure! :thumb:

Looking forward to that beer.... can you send plane ticket? :D

problem with tomtom start n14644 canada 310

hello i have tomtom start n14644 canada 310 i am having a problem with this that it is stuck on start screen.and when i use it with tomtom home it asks me to chose a language other things and when it goes to the map it gives error ''YOU CANNOT USE THIS MAP ON THIS DEVICE'' no matter which ever map i download on it.

and one thing i am from U.K and want to use it here in country.

please help me to sort it out. thanks

if you can send me your advices on my mail id i'll much grateful to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, what method are you using to download the maps to it?

torrent, perhaps? :eek:

n14644 310 iq routes

I did remove mapssettings.cfg || Restarted device didn't work still stuck in a loop. Any suggestion?

That shows as: XL IQ Routes TTS* / 340S - 2GB

Try connecting to Home. Use the emulator (Operate my Unit) to plan a trip. When completed, disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Any better?

N14644 XL Canada 310 IQ Route

For info. "Canada 310" is nothing to do with the model number. It just signifies that the device has passed Canada's telecoms emission regulations 310. All TomToms that get sold in Canada should say it on them somewhere.

I have the same model as the other guy with the freezing at the language selection and if i let it, this will continue liek this for hours. I try to connect it to the computer but it doesnt pick it up. Im sure it has to do with it being a replacement cord because the other one was corroded and no longer charing. it charged itself through my computer but it wont recognize a device there even when i follow the directions slowly i found online. Any suggestions of how to get outta the loop?

Try using a usb port on the back of the computer. Or get a different cable. Or try a different computer.

Can't start my device?

Hello everyone! Sorry that I had to resurrect (what appears to be) such an old post, but I urgently need help, and I would be in your debt if you can.

I have the unit ONE (30 Series) / 125 / 130 - 1GB. I decided to manually replace the United States map with one that included both the United States and Canada. Only then did I realize that there wasn't enough room for that map (oops! :eek:). Because I messed up with regards to the memory issue, I tried to erase everything on the GPS and manually re-copy the files from my backup to the GPS's flash drive. Even though all files (including the stock United States map) have been returned to their original home on the GPS' storage (after a long struggle, especially with some files that flat out refused to copy due to an "I/O error"), which can all be verified using Windows Explorer to look at the GPS drive, the unit won't start, and will get stuck on the TomTom(c) splash screen upon starting. However, I can access pretty much everything on TomTom Home 2.9 when the GPS is connected, and I can even use the "Operate my device" function. It looks like everything is pretty much where it is supposed to be, so any ideas as to why the device itself won't start?

Any assistance is gladly appreciated.

Ask a Question