TomTom 720 startup problems

After my last update this past week . .my tomtom wont work .. When I power it on it simply first shows what appears to be a computer harddrive. .then switches to a picture of a memory card sliding in and out of the unit with an X . .We've had this over a year and never used a memory card.

The unit has been reset, updated .. even reformatted by TomTom tech .. and it still does it ..

when I click on "deviice" from home . .it shows all the maps and such. .but I cant get the screen to go past that flashing memory card. . .

Anyone seen this problem before?

What happens when you try Operate my GO from HOME? If it doesn't work, use winrar to extract the contents of this cab onto the Tomtom and try again. If Operate my GO works, then try these steps.

If it doesn't work, backup per this link, then format via the following command in windows start/run.

cmd /k format z: /x /fs:fat32

(replace Z with your tomtom drive letter)

See if bad sectors are reported - if so, then the internal memory is wearing out, and you'll need to use an SD card or warranty repair the device.

If no bad sectors are reported, rename mydocuments\tomtom\home\download on your computer to mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloadold, and then try having HOME reinstall the application/voices to the blank formatted Tomtom. Does it at least startup to the point that it says no maps found?

cmd /k format z: /x /fs:fat32

(replace Z with your tomtom drive letter)

Forgive my ignorance .. but what is my tomtom drive letter? how do I find that?

thanks

In Windows Explorer, click on My Computer in the left pane and a listing of all your drives will be shown, including the TomTom showing as an external drive and the letter it has been assigned on your computer.

What happens when you try Operate my GO from HOME? If it doesn't work, use winrar to extract the contents of this cab onto the Tomtom and try again. If Operate my GO works, then try these steps.

Ok, first when I click "operate my go" from Home. .I get my device doesnt support this feature.

When I download that file . .HOW do I extract that file to the tomtom .. after the download ..I get a huge list of files ..what am I looking for and how do I move it?

thanks so much for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, first when I click "operate my go" from Home. .I get my device doesnt support this feature.

When I download that file . .HOW do I extract that file to the tomtom .. after the download ..I get a huge list of files ..what am I looking for and how do I move it?

thanks so much for all the help

When you open the cab wile in winrar, it opens up folder with a bunch of files and subfolders. From the menu, do edit -> select all. Then edit -> copy. All the contents should be highlighted.

Open a windows explorer view of the tomtom drive letter dhn referenced. Then do edit -> paste. If the computer asks to overwrite files, say yes.

After this, see if Operate my Go works.

When you open the cab wile in winrar, it opens up folder with a bunch of files and subfolders. From the menu, do edit -> select all. Then edit -> copy. All the contents should be highlighted.

Open a windows explorer view of the tomtom drive letter dhn referenced. Then do edit -> paste. If the computer asks to overwrite files, say yes.

After this, see if Operate my Go works.

This should be a HUGE copy/paste? it's asking me to save all sorts of files and such and showing that it will take hours to copy

This should be a HUGE copy/paste? it's asking me to save all sorts of files and such and showing that it will take hours to copy

Copy from the winrar to the Tomtom. The winrar file has lots of files, but it's only about 50 megabytes. It usually takes under 2 minutes on my computer to copy.

Just tried again . .and still ha ving lots of issues copying that file ... goign to play with it again in a bit . .but I think its "toast"
Not necessarily, if all else fails and you are certain the internal drive is faulty, get a good quality SD card and copy your backup onto it. the 720s will run quite happily from an SD card instead of the internal drive.

Not necessarily, if all else fails and you are certain the internal drive is faulty, get a good quality SD card and copy your backup onto it. the 720s will run quite happily from an SD card instead of the internal drive.

worth a shot . .firt I copy it to the card .. insert card and connect TomTom to the computer?

Yep, if the unit 'sees' the application on a sdhc card, it boots from there.

Ok, card is loaded .. but when I plug the tomtom on .. Im still seeing just the picture of the TomTom in the dock. .how do I get it to find the card?

If the application is on the sdhc card then try a reset of the unit while the card is in the unit.

OMFG! I just went and bought a different SD card for the TT and Installed the backup I had before I formatted the internal hard drive an BOOM! it worked!
The only bad part is that i accidentally deleted my map, so now I have to buy it or beg tomtom to help me with that small issue.
I hope this helps anyone.
The new card i got is a PNY 2GB Premium SD Flash Memory.

Have you ever downloaded a new map to your computer for that device? if so the map files will still be on the computer so it should be easy to install them to the new SD card.

I would guess that the reason your first SD card didn't work is speed related, when the TomTom boots it checks the card if its not fast enough for read/ write the device refuses to use it, now you have a better card with a higher access speed the device is happy to use it - Mike

See if you can exchange for a larger SD (make sure it's just as fast). The maps on the 920 are each close to 2GB (and there are 2 of them). Try to get a 4gb or 8gb if you can.

I bought a 2gb since I was not sure if it will work or not. so the north america map and the application 8.351 won't fit in the 2gb card?

You don't need the application on the card, just the map. Having said that, 2-gig is just toooo much of a squeeze for the map. It should fit but trust me, get a 4-gig sdhc card and not worry about it.

Ask a Question